Connect with us

News

US and Mexico are putting migrant minors in ‘harm’s way’: report | Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador News

Published

on


The United States and Mexico have returned tens of thousands of migrant children travelling alone back to their country, denying them access to asylum and often putting their lives in danger, Amnesty International said in a report (PDF) published on Friday.

According to the report by the UK-based rights organisation, the US has returned the majority of Mexican unaccompanied minors, while Mexico has expelled most of the Central American children who have entered its borders – without effectively assessing the dangers they could face.

“What we have found is that both the US and Mexican governments were sending tens of thousands of unaccompanied migrant children back to their countries of origin without adequate screening for the harm that they could face there,” Brian Griffey, Amnesty’s North American regional researcher told Al Jazeera.

Migrants from Central America after being rescued by police. According to local media, 140 migrants were held against their will inside a house by human smugglers, in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico [Jose Luis Gonzalez/Reuters]

The report: “Pushed into harm’s way: forced returns of unaccompanied children to danger by the USA and Mexico” found that the US expelled 10,270 unaccompanied Mexican children from November 2020 to April 2021. The figure represents 95 percent of all arrivals, according to the report.

Meanwhile, Mexican authorities turned away 3,300 Central American migrant children who arrived through their southern borders in 2020, according to the report. In 2019, Mexico returned 12,000 minors.

Amnesty researchers conducted interviews with dozens of migrant children who recounted being forced into dangerous situations after they were denied access to asylum in the US or in Mexico.

The administration of Joe Biden which took office in January has continued a policy put in place by his predecessor Donald Trump to expel the majority of migrants seeking asylum at the US-Mexico border under a health provision called “Title 42“.

But the Biden administration has exempted children travelling alone – the majority of whom are coming from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador – from expulsions, arguing that turning children away is cruel and could put them in danger.

The US has allowed migrant children to enter the country and be joined by relatives or sponsors while they make their asylum claims. Most say they are fleeing persistent poverty and widespread gang violence.

But US anti-trafficking legislation has exempted Mexican children from the right to access asylum in the US, according to the 50-page report.

Migrant family on an inflatable raft after crossing the Rio Grande river into the United States from Mexico in Roma, Texas, US [Go Nakamura/Reuters]

“US border officials conduct a superficial and ineffective screening of unaccompanied Mexican children for risks of harm or being trafficked, and then repatriate the children without ever placing them in immigration proceedings,” the report found.

The findings come amid persistent pressure on the Biden administration to rein in the number of migrants coming through the southern border of the US.

Vice President Kamala Harris travelled to Guatemala and Mexico earlier this week to meet with the two nations’ leaders in order to coordinate security and developmental efforts aimed at reducing immigration from the region.

Mexico’s President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador and US Vice President Kamala Harris speak after attending the signing ceremony of a Memorandum of Understanding between the two countries in Mexico City, Mexico [Carlos Barria/Reuters]

And on Tuesday, Harris oversaw the signing of a memorandum of understanding with Mexico, which included a commitment to strengthen joint cooperation on security and tackle human smuggling networks.

“What that means in practice – it’s a euphemism for intercepting the same channels which unaccompanied kids are using coming from Central America to the US,” Griffey said.

“There needs to be political will to allow children to pursue immigration claims in the US,” he said.

On Wednesday, CBP published statistics showing that more than 180,000 people had made their way to the US-Mexico border during the month of May, a slight increase from the month before.

But the statistics showed that the number of children travelling alone had dropped during May to 10,765, down from 13,940 in April. The numbers, although still high, were a marked decrease from the 18,951 figure in March.



Source – www.aljazeera.com

Advertisement

News

Eddie Mutwe, Nubian Li Released on Bail

Published

on

By


The General Court Martial in Makindye has on Monday released on bail the remaining members of the National Unity Platform who have been on remand since December last year.

The released include Bobi Wine bodyguard Eddie Mutwe,Singer Nubian Li and Producer Dan Magic.

The released are facing charges related to possession of fire arms.

The group had made several attempts at bail but kept getting stonewalled by government prosecution, on different grounds.

In the last court sitting in which teh army court released 17 of the 35 NUP supporters, Chairman Gen Court Martial sent back Eddie Mutwe and his group on remand, on grounds that prosecution was still examining their affidavits.

The group was arrested on December 30th 2020 in Kalangala district, while on the campaign trail with their candidate Robert Kyagulanyi.

“All our comrades who were arrested last year from Kalangala have been released on bail. These have spent six months while under detention for no crime whatsoever. Thanks to our legal team and everyone who has worked tirelessly to ensure these comrades regain their freedom,” NUP said in a statement.

This story is being updated

The post Eddie Mutwe, Nubian Li Released on Bail first appeared on ChimpReports.



Source – chimpreports.com

Continue Reading

News

Kanungu DHO Dr Sebudde Dies of Covid19

Published

on

By


Dr Stephen Ssebudde the Kanungu District Health Officer has succumbed to COVID-19.

Dr Ssebudde passed away on Sunday evening at Entebbe hospital where he has been receiving treatment for Covid19 after he started feeling unwell early this week.

News of his death was confirmed by a family who told this reporter that Ssebudde died at around 6Pm after three days of admission in Entebbe Hospital.

“Kanungu District Health Officer Dr Ssebudde died at around 6pm today after 3 days of admission in Entebbe Hospital. As per family, RIP” message from a family member reads.

Hajji Shaffiq Ssekandi the Kanungu Resident District Commissioner who also heads the District COVID-19 taskforce described Ssebudde’s death as a big blow to the district health department since he has been working selflessly to ensure that all people in the community are equally served when it comes to health.

His death comes at a time when the country has already registered cumulative confirmed covid19 cases of 61,977 representing a test positivity rate of 18.7%.

The country has 884 Active cases on admission, 48,160 Cumulative recoveries, and 428 total deaths.

According to Ministerial statistics, 777,895 Persons have so far been vaccinated against COVID-19.

The post Kanungu DHO Dr Sebudde Dies of Covid19 first appeared on ChimpReports.



Source – chimpreports.com

Continue Reading

News

Iran says it has broad agreement with the US on lifting sanctions | Boycott Divest and Sanctions News

Published

on

By


The landmark accord has been delayed because there are some sticking points, but not an impasse, Iran said.

By Bloomberg

Iran said it has reached a broad agreement with the U.S. over the lifting of sanctions on its industrial sectors, including energy, but warned there was “very little time left” for world powers to revive a 2015 nuclear deal.

Saeed Khatibzadeh, spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, didn’t give more detail on the potential easing of trade restrictions, which have all but prevented the Islamic Republic from exporting oil and battered its economy. The landmark accord was being delayed because there are still sticking points, he told reporters in Tehran on Monday.

Oil markets are closely watching the negotiations, which are taking place in Vienna, for any clues as to when the OPEC member will be able to resume crude sales and how quickly Washington will allow it to ramp up production.

“Some minute technical, political, legal and practical issues remain,” Khatibzadeh said. “No task was impossible for negotiators” and there’s no impasse, he said.

Brent crude rose 1% to $73.43 a barrel at 8:50 a.m. in London, extending its gain this year to 42%. Traders have pushed back their estimates for Iran’s oil comeback as the talks drag on.

World powers are trying to revive the 2015 agreement that the U.S. abandoned three years ago. It restricted Tehran’s atomic activities in return for sanctions relief.

On Saturday, Iran’s lead envoy in Vienna, Abbas Araghchi, said a deal was unlikely before presidential elections in his country this Friday.

President Hassan Rouhani — who negotiated the original deal in 2015 — is due to leave office in August after serving two terms. He is widely expected to be replaced by Ebrahim Raisi, a cleric generally seen as hostile to engaging with the U.S.

Still, a government spokesman said last week that the decision to try to resuscitate the accord was made by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and won’t be affected by Rouhani’s departure.



Source – www.aljazeera.com

Continue Reading

Trending