Connect with us

News

Col. Nakalema Orders Bus Companies to Refund Cheated Passengers

Published

on


The Head of State House Anti -Corruption Unit (ACU) Col. Edith Nakalema has ordered 17 bus companies to refund all the people they charged and never transported to their destinations when the second partial lockdown was announced by President Museveni.

The lockdown of schools on Monday led to an influx of passengers especially school children and parents in public transport terminals such as bus and taxi parks which operators exploited through over charging.

The bus operators also failed to transport most of them, leaving them stranded in bus parks for days.

Col. Nakalema intervened in the worsening situation and mobilized free transport from government agencies to take the stranded people to their destinations across the country.

She mobilized over 20 buses from police, universities, Uganda Wildlife Authority and also the private companies. Police also provided 17 Troop carriers and transported people who decided to return up country during the lockdown.

When Col. Nakalema visited the parks on Tuesday, found that due to overwhelming passengers, most bus companies over charged people and failed to transport them rendering them vulnerable to Covid-19 and criminals.

According to Col. Nakalema this is unacceptable and that bus companies should refund money to passengers whom they never transported.

On Thursday, Col. Nakalema summoned all bus owners and managers under their umbrella association (United Bus Owners and Transporters Association) to her office and ordered them to refund money to people who had paid but transported by government.

“I hereby order all bus companies who failed to transport passengers who had already paid but instead transported by buses provided by government. The permanent secretary in the office of the president will instruct all RDCs to place announcements on all radio stations to invite them to collect their money from bus companies. At least they deserve their money,” said Col. Nakalema.

She ordered them to start refunding after one week. Some of the implicated companies include; Jussy Buses, Gateway buses, Kakiise, Goldline, Baby coaches, Kwizera buses and Friendship.

Others are Ibabu coaches, Horizon, Poko Poko and Highway bus companies.

Mr. Solomon Nsimiire the chairman of the bus owners association on behalf of the members apologized to the public for the mistakes and accepted to refund the money to the passengers.

He also said that as bus owners, they were not prepared for the abrupt lockdown pointing out that it was imposed in the night and there was no time to prepare for a big passenger turn up.

The post Col. Nakalema Orders Bus Companies to Refund Cheated Passengers first appeared on ChimpReports.



Source – chimpreports.com

Advertisement

News

Russia fires warning shots at British destroyer in Black Sea | Russia News

Published

on

By


Russia says one of its warships fired warning shots to deter a British destroyer from its waters near Crimea.

A Russian military ship fired warning shots at British Royal Navy destroyer HMS Defender after it entered Russian waters in the Black Sea and a Russian jet dropped bombs in its path, Interfax cited Russia’s defence ministry as saying on Wednesday.

The Defender left Russian waters soon afterwards, having ventured as much as 3km (2 miles) inside, the ministry said.



Source – www.aljazeera.com

Continue Reading

News

Former winners Spain, holders Portugal face early Euro 2020 exit | Euro2020 News

Published

on

By


Portugal take on world champions France while Spain will face Slovakia on last day of group matches.

Spain and reigning champions Portugal are at risk of a shock early exit from Euro 2020 on Wednesday.

Former world champions Germany, meanwhile, need a draw at the Allianz Arena in the Bavarian capital to reach the last 16 on the last day of group matches but defeat would send Hungary through and possibly condemn Joachim Loew’s side to another group-stage exit, just like at the 2018 World Cup.

That is unthinkable for Germany, who beat Cristiano Ronaldo’s Portugal 4-2 at the weekend to kickstart their campaign but could be without Thomas Mueller due to a knee injury.

Portugal, who beat France at the last edition’s final to claim the trophy, will be eliminated if they lose to the same opponents and Hungary win but a draw will definitely take the 2016 champions through to the last 16.

France have already qualified but will want to win to secure top spot, meaning a theoretically easier tie in the next round.

Portugal’s neighbours Spain are in a similarly tricky position heading into their final Group E game against Slovakia in Seville.

The 2008 and 2012 European champions have drawn both matches so far against Sweden and Poland.

They need to win this time to be sure of reaching the knockout phase, although a draw would be enough to qualify as a best third-placed team, provided Poland fail to beat Sweden in Saint Petersburg.

“I have a feeling that we are like a bottle of cava that is about to be uncorked,” said coach Luis Enrique.

“As soon as we put in one complete performance and get a big victory, the confidence will come and you will start to see the best of us.”

Slovakia need a point to be certain of progressing, while Robert Lewandowski’s Poland have to beat already-qualified Sweden to advance.



Source – www.aljazeera.com

Continue Reading

News

UAE-produced film slammed for depicting Qatar a ‘terrorist state’ | GCC News

Published

on

By


The Misfits, a Hollywood film co-produced by an Emirati company, condemned as ‘immoral’ and ‘absurd’.

A Hollywood film co-produced by an Emirati film company has been condemned as “immoral” and “absurd” for portraying Qatar as a “terrorist state”.

The Misfits, co-produced, filmed, and financed by the UAE-based FilmGate Production in partnership with Paramount Pictures and Highland Film Group, tells the story of savvy thief Richard Pace, played by Pierce Brosnan, who escapes from a high-security US prison and goes on to steal millions from the world’s most secure facilities.

In the film, the director refers to Qatar as “Jazeeristan” and accuses its citizens of supporting “terrorist organisations” while Abu Dhabi’s mercenaries are depicted as heroes, Doha News reported.

It added that the film portrays Qatar-based Egyptian Muslim scholar Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi as “the leader of the Muslim Brotherhood and the sponsor of global terrorism”.

‘Absurd’

The report cited Egyptian journalist, Mohamed Nasser, as saying in a video posted online that The Misfits is nothing more than an attempt by the UAE to “destroy Qatar’s reputation”.

A Twitter user, who watched a leaked copy of the movie, describes it as “absurd” and not worthy of feedback.

“Shame on whoever funded this nonsense,” he added.

Palestinian journalist Jamal Rayyan described the film as “immoral”.

In a series of tweets, Qatari scholar Muhammad al-Kubaisi also slammed the film.

“May God never bless the Emirati leadership. They are using Hollywood and producing a movie called The Misfits, which cost them more than $50m dollars to damage Qatar’s reputation and accuse its peaceful society of terrorism,” he said.

“I do not know why exactly the UAE wants to damage Qatar’s reputation? Is it because we are Muslims and united with God and it wants to eliminate Islam and Muslims? Does the UAE want to distance Qatar from the essence of Islam and support of Muslims everywhere?”

The development came just months after Qatar and its neighbours renewed ties after more than three years of a blockade imposed on Doha by Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain and the UAE.

Qatari and UAE officials held their first meeting since the detente in February this year. In January, the UAE resumed air and sea entry points to Qatar.



Source – www.aljazeera.com

Continue Reading

Trending