Connect with us

News

Company drops contentious Keystone XL pipeline project | Economy News

Published

on


Critics welcome announcement as a ‘victory’ just months after US President Joe Biden revoked a permit for the pipeline.

The company behind a contentious oil pipeline that would have stretched between Canada and the United States has officially abandoned the project, months after US President Joe Biden revoked its permit.

In a statement on Wednesday, TC Energy said it had terminated the Keystone XL project “after a comprehensive review of its options” and in consultation with its partner, the government of Alberta, an oil-rich province in western Canada.

“The Company will continue to coordinate with regulators, stakeholders and Indigenous groups to meet its environmental and regulatory commitments and ensure a safe termination of and exit from the Project,” TC Energy said.

Right-wing Alberta Premier Jason Kenney’s government invested 1.5 billion Canadian dollars ($1.1bn) in the Keystone project last year, saying the pipeline was necessary to support the provincial economy.

But the project faced years of staunch opposition from environmental groups, landowners and Indigenous communities in both Canada and the US, who argued it threatened their lands and waters and would worsen the climate crisis.

In January, just hours after he was inaugurated, Biden fulfilled a campaign promise and revoked the presidential permit for the project issued by former President Donald Trump.

The 1,947km (1,210-mile) Keystone XL pipeline was set to stretch from the Canadian province of Alberta to the US state of Nebraska, and would have shipped 830,000 barrels of oil per day between the two countries.

The Indigenous Environmental Network, a US-based Indigenous advocacy group, welcomed Wednesday’s announcement. “After more than 10 years — we have finally defeated an oil and gas giant! Keystone XL is DEAD! We are dancing in our hearts for this victory!” the group tweeted.

“From the Tar Sands to the Gulf — we stood in hand-in-hand to protect the next seven generations of life, the water and our communities. This is not the end – but merely the beginning of further victories. We know this in our hearts.”

“We’re hopeful that the Biden administration will continue to shift this country in the right direction by opposing fossil fuel projects that threaten our climate, our waters and imperiled wildlife. Good riddance to Keystone XL!” said Jared Margolis of the Center for Biological Diversity, a US environmental group.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government had supported the pipeline, but Trudeau said in January that he accepted Biden’s decision to cancel the project.

Kenney, the Alberta premier, said in a statement on Wednesday that his government remained “disappointed and frustrated with the circumstances surrounding the Keystone XL project, including the cancellation of the presidential permit for the pipeline’s border crossing”.

“Having said this, Alberta will continue to play an important role in a reliable, affordable North American energy system. We will work with our U.S. partners to ensure that we are able to meet U.S. energy demands through the responsible development and transportation of our resources.”

The statement said the Alberta government is expected to incur a total cost of $1.3bn Canadian dollars ($1.07bn) for the project.





Source – www.aljazeera.com

Advertisement

News

Eddie Mutwe, Nubian Li Released on Bail

Published

on

By


The General Court Martial in Makindye has on Monday released on bail the remaining members of the National Unity Platform who have been on remand since December last year.

The released include Bobi Wine bodyguard Eddie Mutwe,Singer Nubian Li and Producer Dan Magic.

The released are facing charges related to possession of fire arms.

The group had made several attempts at bail but kept getting stonewalled by government prosecution, on different grounds.

In the last court sitting in which teh army court released 17 of the 35 NUP supporters, Chairman Gen Court Martial sent back Eddie Mutwe and his group on remand, on grounds that prosecution was still examining their affidavits.

The group was arrested on December 30th 2020 in Kalangala district, while on the campaign trail with their candidate Robert Kyagulanyi.

“All our comrades who were arrested last year from Kalangala have been released on bail. These have spent six months while under detention for no crime whatsoever. Thanks to our legal team and everyone who has worked tirelessly to ensure these comrades regain their freedom,” NUP said in a statement.

This story is being updated

The post Eddie Mutwe, Nubian Li Released on Bail first appeared on ChimpReports.



Source – chimpreports.com

Continue Reading

News

Kanungu DHO Dr Sebudde Dies of Covid19

Published

on

By


Dr Stephen Ssebudde the Kanungu District Health Officer has succumbed to COVID-19.

Dr Ssebudde passed away on Sunday evening at Entebbe hospital where he has been receiving treatment for Covid19 after he started feeling unwell early this week.

News of his death was confirmed by a family who told this reporter that Ssebudde died at around 6Pm after three days of admission in Entebbe Hospital.

“Kanungu District Health Officer Dr Ssebudde died at around 6pm today after 3 days of admission in Entebbe Hospital. As per family, RIP” message from a family member reads.

Hajji Shaffiq Ssekandi the Kanungu Resident District Commissioner who also heads the District COVID-19 taskforce described Ssebudde’s death as a big blow to the district health department since he has been working selflessly to ensure that all people in the community are equally served when it comes to health.

His death comes at a time when the country has already registered cumulative confirmed covid19 cases of 61,977 representing a test positivity rate of 18.7%.

The country has 884 Active cases on admission, 48,160 Cumulative recoveries, and 428 total deaths.

According to Ministerial statistics, 777,895 Persons have so far been vaccinated against COVID-19.

The post Kanungu DHO Dr Sebudde Dies of Covid19 first appeared on ChimpReports.



Source – chimpreports.com

Continue Reading

News

Iran says it has broad agreement with the US on lifting sanctions | Boycott Divest and Sanctions News

Published

on

By


The landmark accord has been delayed because there are some sticking points, but not an impasse, Iran said.

By Bloomberg

Iran said it has reached a broad agreement with the U.S. over the lifting of sanctions on its industrial sectors, including energy, but warned there was “very little time left” for world powers to revive a 2015 nuclear deal.

Saeed Khatibzadeh, spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, didn’t give more detail on the potential easing of trade restrictions, which have all but prevented the Islamic Republic from exporting oil and battered its economy. The landmark accord was being delayed because there are still sticking points, he told reporters in Tehran on Monday.

Oil markets are closely watching the negotiations, which are taking place in Vienna, for any clues as to when the OPEC member will be able to resume crude sales and how quickly Washington will allow it to ramp up production.

“Some minute technical, political, legal and practical issues remain,” Khatibzadeh said. “No task was impossible for negotiators” and there’s no impasse, he said.

Brent crude rose 1% to $73.43 a barrel at 8:50 a.m. in London, extending its gain this year to 42%. Traders have pushed back their estimates for Iran’s oil comeback as the talks drag on.

World powers are trying to revive the 2015 agreement that the U.S. abandoned three years ago. It restricted Tehran’s atomic activities in return for sanctions relief.

On Saturday, Iran’s lead envoy in Vienna, Abbas Araghchi, said a deal was unlikely before presidential elections in his country this Friday.

President Hassan Rouhani — who negotiated the original deal in 2015 — is due to leave office in August after serving two terms. He is widely expected to be replaced by Ebrahim Raisi, a cleric generally seen as hostile to engaging with the U.S.

Still, a government spokesman said last week that the decision to try to resuscitate the accord was made by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and won’t be affected by Rouhani’s departure.



Source – www.aljazeera.com

Continue Reading

Trending