Connect with us


64 children die in 68 days at Mbale hospital



The Acute award at Mbale hospital

The Acute award at Mbale hospital

At least 64 children have died at Mbale Regional Referral hospital in the past 68 days, URN has learnt. The deaths occurred in April, May, and early June. This literally means that at least one child died at the facility each day. Records show that the hospital lost 20 children in April, another 28 in May and so far 16 children have died this month. 

According to the records, the deceased children were aged between 4 and 10 years. On May 30th alone, over 5 children are reported to have died in the acute ward. The authorities blame the problem largely on the acute shortage of blood in the hospital.

Christine Ruth Nabirye, a nurse in the acute ward listed a number of reasons ranging from the shortage of blood in the facility, understaffing of health workers in the ward to the delayed referral of the children from the lower health facilities as the cause of the deaths of the children.     

She says that there are only 7 out of the required 15 nurses meant to man the ward. She explains that at least one staff is always away on leave each month, leaving only six nurses on duty. According to Nabirye, the policy requiring nurses to pick results from the laboratory has worsened the already complicated situation. She, however, also notes that many of the children die on arrival because of delayed referrals.  

Like Nabirye, Mbale hospital director Dr Emmanuel Tugaineyo says the hospital is struggling with blood shortage, adding that five children died on May 30th because they couldn’t find blood, which matches their blood group. Tugaineyo says it is unfortunate that they lost such a number of children in one day.

“I request the public to be cooperative and donate blood,” he said. Dr Ahmed Bumba, the manager of Mbale Regional Blood Bank, says they currently have more than enough blood. According to Bumba, Mbale hospital receives more blood compared to any other facility in the region.

He says that the hospital requested 721 units of blood last month, which was provided. Dr Bumba faulted the hospital for failing to account for the blood they receive from the blood bank, saying that they have never lacked the blood of any group because they keep contacts of people with rare blood groups to help others in case of any emergency. 

“We had a meeting with the permanent secretary of the ministry of Health Dr Diana Atwine about the issues of blood within Mbale Regional Referral hospital. It was discovered that the hospital sells blood to patients. We resolved that the hospital makes a report on each unit of blood given out, which is yet to be implemented,” he said.

Adding that “the management of the hospital should stop using the excuse of lack of blood but rather work on their weaknesses like absenteeism of medical workers at night and lack of accountability for blood given to them.”  

Edward Khauka, one of the parents who lost a child on May 30, posted a message on the Mbale District Covid19 task force WhatApp group that six children died on that fateful night due to the absence of a doctor, clinician and blood since the facility was being manned by one nursing assistant. 

“Horrible! Six 06 Children die in Mbale Referral Hospital in 3 Hours due to lack of a Doctor or clinician & Blood on Acute Children’s Ward, it’s left under the management of 01 nursing assistant. The media should capture this so that the director gives an idea of what is happening in the Hospital. If the doctors or clinicians or even student doctors and nurses are on strike, let the public know. How can all the doctors switch off their phones” he posted in the group.

Dr Tugaineyo refutes claims of absenteeism of medical workers and the sale of blood, saying those who fell prey should come out and report to the hospital administration.

Source –



New Zealand’s Hubbard selected as first transgender Olympian | LGBTQ News




Laurel Hubbard, 43, will compete in the super-heavyweight women’s event in Tokyo.

Weightlifter Laurel Hubbard will become the first transgender athlete to compete at the Olympics after being selected by New Zealand for the women’s event at the Tokyo Games, a decision set to test the ideal of fair competition in sport.

New Zealand Olympic Committee chief Kereyn Smith said 43-year-old Hubbard – who was assigned male at birth but transitioned to female in 2013 – had met all the qualification criteria for transgender athletes.

“We acknowledge that gender identity in sport is a highly sensitive and complex issue requiring a balance between human rights and fairness on the field of play,” Smith said in a statement.

Hubbard will compete in the super-heavyweight 87-kg category after showing testosterone levels below the threshold required by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

The 43-year-old had competed in men’s weightlifting competitions before transitioning.

“I am grateful and humbled by the kindness and support that has been given to me by so many New Zealanders,” Hubbard, an intensely private person who rarely speaks to the media, said in a statement issued by the New Zealand Olympic Committee (NZOC) on Monday.

Hubbard has been eligible to compete at Olympics since 2015, when the IOC issued guidelines allowing any transgender athlete to compete as a woman provided their testosterone levels are below 10 nanomoles per litre for at least 12 months before their first competition.

Some scientists have said the guidelines do little to mitigate the biological advantages of people who have gone through puberty as males, including bone and muscle density.

Advocates for transgender inclusion argue the process of transition decreases that advantage considerably and that physical differences between athletes mean there is never a truly level playing field.

Save Women’s Sport Australasia, an advocacy group for women athletes, criticised Hubbard’s selection.

“It is flawed policy from the IOC that has allowed the selection of a 43-year-old biological male who identifies as a woman to compete in the female category,” the group said in a statement.

Weightlifting has been at the centre of the debate about the fairness of transgender athletes competing against women, and Hubbard’s presence in Tokyo could prove divisive.

Her gold medal wins at the 2019 Pacific Games in Samoa, where she topped the podium ahead of Samoa’s Commonwealth Games champion Feagaiga Stowers, triggered outrage in the host nation.

Samoa’s weightlifting boss said Hubbard’s selection for Tokyo would be like letting athletes “dope” and feared it could cost the small Pacific nation a medal.

Belgian weightlifter Anna Vanbellinghen said last month allowing Hubbard to compete at Tokyo was unfair for women and “like a bad joke”.

Australia’s weightlifting federation sought to block Hubbard from competing at the 2018 Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast but organisers rejected the move.

Hubbard was forced to withdraw after injuring herself during competition, and thought her career was over.

“When I broke my arm at the Commonwealth Games three years ago, I was advised that my sporting career had likely reached its end,” Hubbard said on Monday, thanking New Zealanders.

“But your support, your encouragement, and your aroha (love) carried me through the darkness.”

Olympic Weightlifting New Zealand President Richie Patterson said Hubbard had worked hard to come back from the potentially career-ending injury.

“Laurel has shown grit and perseverance in her return from a significant injury and overcoming the challenges in building back confidence on the competition platform,” he said.

Hubbard is currently ranked 16th in the world in the super heavyweight category.

Source –

Continue Reading


Apple Daily could shut ‘in days’ after Hong Kong asset freeze | Freedom of the Press News




Company adviser says action under security law means it cannot access some $50 million in funds to pay staff and vendors.

Hong Kong pro-democracy newspaper Apple Daily will be forced to shut “in a matter of days” after authorities used the national security law imposed by China to freeze the company’s assets as it arrested the paper’s editor and four other directors, an adviser to jailed tycoon Jimmy Lai told Reuters on Monday.

Mark Simon, speaking by phone from the United States, said the company was no longer able to access its funds and would be holding a board meeting on Monday to discuss how to move forward.

“We thought we’d be able to make it to the end of the month,” Simon told the news agency. “It’s just getting harder and harder. It’s essentially a matter of days.”

His comments signal closure is imminent even after Apple Daily said on Sunday the freezing of its assets had left the newspaper with cash for “a few weeks” for normal operations.”

The news comes two days after editor Ryan Law, 47, and chief executive Cheung Kim-hung, 59, were denied bail after being charged under the security law with collusion with foreign forces.

Apple Daily’s editor-in-chief Ryan Law arrives back at the detention centre after he was remanded in custody on Saturday [Lam Yik/Reuters]

Three other senior executives were also arrested last Thursday when 500 police officers raided the newspaper’s offices in a case that has drawn condemnation from Western nations, human rights groups and the chief United Nations spokesperson for human rights.

The three have been released on bail.

Simon told Reuters it had become impossible to conduct banking operations.

“Vendors tried to put money into our accounts and were rejected. We can’t bank. Some vendors tried to do that as a favour. We just wanted to find out and it was rejected,” he said.

Speaking earlier to US news channel CNN, Simon said the company had about $50 million available, but was unable to access the funds.

The publisher has come under increasing pressure since its owner Jimmy Lai was arrested under the national security law last August, which marked the first time the company’s headquarters was raided. Lai, 73, is now jailed and facing trial under the national security law. In May, the authorities also froze some assets belonging to the longtime critic of Beijing has also had some of his assets frozen.

Three companies related to Apple Daily are also being prosecuted for collusion with a foreign country and authorities have frozen HK$18 million ($2.3 million) of their assets.

China imposed the national security law on Hong Kong last June saying it was necessary to restore “stability” to a territory that had been rocked by mass protests in 2019, some of which turned violent.

The broadly-worded law criminalises acts such as subversion, sedition, collusion with foreign forces and secession with possible life imprisonment, but critics have said it is being used to suppress legitimate political debate with dozens of pro-democracy politicians and activists among the more than 100 arrested since it was brought into force.

Source –

Continue Reading


Birmingham Classic: Ons Jabeur beats Daria Kasatkina to win first title




Tunisian second seed Ons Jabeur defeated Russia’s Daria Kasatkina in straight sets to win her first singles title at the Birmingham Classic.

World number 24 Jabeur triumphed 7-5 6-4 against the fourth seed to become the first Arab woman to win a WTA title.

In Berlin, Russian qualifier Liudmila Samsonova stunned Swiss fifth seed Belinda Bencic to win her first title.

The 22-year-old world number 106 battled back from a set down to win 1-6 6-1 6-3 in her first final.

Victories for Jabeur and Samsonova mean there have now been 10 first-time singles winners on the women’s Tour this year.

Jabeur broke Kasatkina’s serve three times to prevail in the first set, before successive breaks at the start of the second put the 26-year-old in control at 4-0.

Two-time Grand Slam quarter-finalist Kasatkina recovered to 4-3, but Jabeur held on to win a singles final at the third attempt.

It was a breakthrough week for Samsonova in Germany, during which she also defeated seventh seed Victoria Azarenka of Belaurus in the semi-final.

World number 12 Bencic won the first five games as she dominated the opening set, but Samsonova matched that feat in the second before completing her comeback with breaks in the first and ninth games in the deciding set.

Source –

Continue Reading