Connect with us

News

Israel parliament to vote on new government on Sunday | Middle East News

Published

on


Israel’s parliament speaker schedules the vote that could end Netanyahu’s 12-year rule.

Israel’s parliament speaker has scheduled a vote for Sunday on a new government that would end Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s 12-year rule, the longest in the country’s history.

“The debate and vote on the new government will take place Sunday… during a special session of parliament,” speaker Yariv Levin, a Netanyahu ally, said in a statement on Tuesday.

If the coalition of right-wing, left-wing, centrist and Arab parties wins the vote of confidence, it will be sworn in on the same day, marking the end of Netanyahu’s run as prime minister and his replacement by nationalist Naftali Bennett.

Last Wednesday, centrist Yesh Atid party leader Yair Lapid announced that he and Bennett, a former defence minister who heads the far-right Yamina party, had formed a broad governing alliance following an inconclusive March 23 election, Israel’s fourth in two years.

Under their deal, Bennett will serve first as prime minister, followed by Lapid.

Bennett had urged Levin to hold the Knesset vote this Wednesday and called on Netanyahu to “let go” and desist from any efforts to persuade members of the new coalition to defect and scupper its inauguration.

Bitter recriminations within the Israeli right and far right prompted Israeli security services to issue a rare warning against incitement online, which Netanyahu’s opponents say was a warning to the prime minister.

Netanyahu has called the new coalition the “fraud of the century” while he has been trying to thwart the coalition by peeling off right-wing defectors uncomfortable with working with left-wing and Arab lawmakers (Palestinian citizens of Israel).

Israel held four elections in less than two years, the most recent in March.

Each time, voters were deeply polarised over whether Netanyahu should remain in office while facing allegations of corruption, for which he is now on trial.

An emergency government formed last year to address the coronavirus pandemic was mired in political infighting and collapsed in December.

Netanyahu tried and failed to form a government after the March elections before the mandate was given to Lapid.

The political transition, which could yet be derailed, comes amid heightened tensions following weeks of clashes between Palestinian protesters and Israeli police in Jerusalem.

Israel launched an 11-day military assault on Gaza that left more than 250 Palestinians dead, including 66 children.



Source – www.aljazeera.com

Advertisement

News

Denmark’s Eriksen is joking and in a good mood: Agent | Euro2020 News

Published

on

By


‘He is fine,’ but may have to stay in hospital for two more days, the Inter Milan player’s agent Martin Schoots told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

Denmark’s Christian Eriksen may have to stay in hospital for two more days but is making a good recovery, his agent said on Monday.

Eriksen collapsed during Saturday’s European Championship game against Finland in Copenhagen and doctors think he had a cardiac arrest. He was resuscitated on the pitch.

“He has been joking, he was in a good mood. He is fine,” the Inter Milan player’s agent Martin Schoots told the Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper after visiting him.

“We all want to know what happened, he as well. The doctors are doing lots of tests and that takes time.”

The 29-year-old is not expected to play again in the tournament but could continue his recuperation at home soon.

Eriksen will stay in hospital in Copenhagen on Monday “and perhaps also Tuesday” added Schoots.

“He is happy because he has seen how many people care about him. He has had messages from across the world,” he added.

Denmark, who lost 1-0 to Finland having decided to restart the game hours after his collapse, meet favourites Belgium in their second Group B game on Thursday.

“Without a doubt, he wants to support his team against Belgium as a fan,” said Schoots, without specifying whether that would be in the Parken Stadium in the Danish capital.



Source – www.aljazeera.com

Continue Reading

News

Covid-19 claims Kanungu district health officer Dr Ssebudde

Published

on

By


Kanungu district health officer, Dr. Stephen Ssebudde has succumbed to Covid-19. According to Kanungu deputy resident district commissioner, Gad Ahimbisibwe Rugaaju, Ssebudde breathed his last at 09:00 pm yesterday at Entebbe Grade B hospital where he spent a week in admission.

Kanungu resident district commissioner, Hajji Shafiq Ssekandi who also heads the district Covid-19 taskforce says that Ssebudde’s death is a big blow to the district health department because he has been working selflessly to ensure that all people in the community receive equal health services.

Martin Kafanta Atukwase, the former Kanungu district youth chairperson, says Ssebudde’s death should send a strong message to the public about the need for extra vigilance and the need to implement Covid-19 preventive measures because the disease has the capacity to get to anyone.  

This is the first district health officer in Uganda to succumb to the virus, which has claimed at least 15 prominent figures in the last seven days.

Some of the victims include Manzi Tumubweine, the former state minister for Privatization and former Rukiga county MP, Patrick Besigye Keihwa, the former Kabale district LC V chairman, senior superintendent of police (SSP), Samuel Bamuzibire, the Kampala Metropolitan 999 Patrol commander, and former judiciary permanent secretary, Kagole Kivumbi among others.



Source – observer.ug

Continue Reading

News

Myanmar’s pro-Rohingya social media campaign gathers mass support | Rohingya News

Published

on

By


Hundreds of thousands of Myanmar’s anti-military government protesters have flooded social media with pictures of themselves wearing black in a show of solidarity with the Rohingya, a minority group that is among the most persecuted in the country.

Since the military overthrew civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi from power in a February 1 coup, an anti-military movement demanding a return to democracy has grown to include fighting for ethnic minority rights.

The mostly-Muslim Rohingya – long viewed as interlopers from Bangladesh by many in Myanmar – have for decades been denied citizenship, rights, access to services and freedom of movement.

In 2017, a bloody military campaign in Myanmar’s west sent about 740,000 Rohingya fleeing across the border into Bangladesh carrying accounts of rape, mass killings and arson.

The military has long claimed the crackdown was justified to root out rebels, and Aung San Suu Kyi defended the army’s conduct by travelling to the Hague to rebut charges of genocide at the UN’s top court.

The Myanmar public was largely unsympathetic to the Rohingya’s plight, while activists and journalists reporting on the issues faced vitriolic abuse online.

On Sunday, activists and civilians took to social media to post pictures of themselves wearing black and flashing a three-finger salute of resistance, in posts tagged “#Black4Rohingya”.

“Justice must [be] served for each of you and each of us in Myanmar,” prominent rights activist Thinzar Shunlei Yi said on Twitter.

Local media also showed a small protest in Myanmar’s commercial hub Yangon, with black-clad demonstrators holding signs in Burmese that said they were “protesting for the oppressed Rohingya”.

By the evening, the #Black4Rohingya hashtag was trending on Twitter in Myanmar with more than 332,000 mentions.

Sunday’s show of support from the mostly Buddhist, ethnic Bamar-majority population is a far cry from previous years when even using the term “Rohingya” was a lightning rod for controversy.

‘Solidarity is important’

Nay San Lwin, co-founder of the Free Rohingya Coalition, told Al Jazeera that the #Black4Rohingya campaign has “received a huge support and solidarity from our fellow Burmese this year”.

“In the past, we only had international supporters but since the coup, we have received public apologies from individuals and organisations in Myanmar,” he added.

“The solidarity from our fellow Burmese is very important for us. We were friendless in our own country, regarded like enemies, intruders, interlopers and sub-humans but now many of them accepted Rohingya as their fellow citizens. Many of them realised that they were brainwashed by the military.

“The people who used to call us ‘Bengali’ are now calling us Rohingya. That means they are now respecting the very basic human rights.”

Prominent Europe-based Rohingya activist Ro Nay San Lwin told AFP news agency the online campaign is an annual effort to raise awareness but Sunday was “the first time” he had seen it go viral in Myanmar.

“I am so happy to see those inside Myanmar joined this campaign. I am more hopeful to have a stronger solidarity from them,” he said.

The shadow National Unity Government (NUG) – made up of overthrown lawmakers of Myanmar working to topple the military from power – has also extended an olive branch to the minority group, inviting them to “join hands… to participate in this Spring Revolution” in a recent announcement.

The NUG has been branded as “terrorists” by the military regime, while military leader Min Aung Hlaing has dismissed the word “Rohingya” as “an imaginary term”.

Since the coup earlier this year, more than 860 people have been killed in brutal crackdowns by security forces, according to a local monitoring group – a death toll that has drawn alarm from the international community.

On Friday, UN rights chief Michelle Bachelet said Myanmar has plunged from a “fragile democracy to a human rights catastrophe” – pointing with particular concern at the escalating violence in regions like Kayah, Chin and Kachin states.

State-run television on Sunday evening condemned Bachelet’s comments, saying that the international body “should not be biased”.



Source – www.aljazeera.com

Continue Reading

Trending