Connect with us

News

WHO says can’t force China to give more info on COVID origins | Coronavirus pandemic News

Published

on


A top World Health Organization official has said the WHO cannot compel China to divulge more data on the origins of COVID-19, while adding it will propose studies needed to take understanding of where the virus emerged to the “next level”.

Asked by a reporter how the WHO will “compel” China to be more open, Mike Ryan, director of the agency’s emergencies programme, said at a news conference that the “WHO doesn’t have the power to compel anyone in this regard.”

“We fully expect cooperation, input and support of all of our member states in that endeavour,” Ryan said on Monday.

There are competing theories that the virus jumped from animals, possibly starting with bats, to humans, or that it escaped from a laboratory in Wuhan, China.

The Wuhan lab leak theory has recently become the subject of renewed public debate after several prominent scientists called for a full investigation into the origins of the virus.

The hypothesis that the virus was accidentally leaked from the lab was largely disregarded by scientists in the early stages of the coronavirus outbreak. China has repeatedly denied that the lab was responsible for the outbreak.

Members of a WHO team that visited China earlier this year hunting for COVID-19’s origins have said they did not have access to all data, driving continued debate about the country’s transparency.

Former US President Donald Trump and his supporters have consistently amplified conspiracy theories that China deliberately leaked the virus.

Then-US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo insisted last year that there was “significant evidence” that the virus came from the lab, while releasing no proof and acknowledging that there was no certainty.

‘Two-track pandemic’

Meanwhile, the head of the WHO called for COVID-19 vaccine manufacturers to give the global jab equity scheme COVAX first refusal on new doses, or commit half of their volumes to the WHO-backed initiative.

In a media briefing, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus lamented the COVID-19 vaccine inequality which he said has created a “two-track pandemic” with Western countries protected and poorer nations still exposed, renewing pleas for shot donations.

He voiced his frustration that several poor countries have been unable to immunise their health workers, the elderly and other populations most vulnerable to severe COVID-19 disease.

“Increasingly, we see a two-track pandemic: many countries still face an extremely dangerous situation, while some of those with the highest vaccination rates are starting to talk about ending restrictions” Tedros told reporters, adding that vaccine sharing was essential to end the “acute phase of the COVID-19 pandemic”.

The WHO chief said six months since the first coronavirus vaccines were administered, high-income countries have administered “almost 44 percent of the world’s doses.”

“Low-income countries have administered just 0.4 percent. The most frustrating thing about this statistic is that it hasn’t changed in months.”

Tedros has called for a massive global effort to vaccinate at least 10 percent of the population of all countries by September, and at least 30 percent by the end of the year.

That will require an additional 250 million doses by September, with 100 million doses in June and July alone.

“This weekend, the G7 leaders will meet for their annual summit,” Tedros said. “These seven nations have the power to meet these targets.

“I am calling on the G7 not just to commit to sharing doses, but to commit to sharing them in June and July,” he said.

“I also call on all manufacturers to give COVAX first right of refusal on new volume of COVID-19 vaccines, or to commit 50 percent of their volumes to COVAX this year.”

COVAX was set up to ensure equitable distribution of vaccines, particularly to low-income countries, and has already delivered more than 80 million doses to 129 territories.

But that is about 200 million doses behind where it had hoped to be, says the WHO.

For vaccines to be eligible for COVAX they need to have been approved by the WHO and given its emergency use listing status.

So far, the UN health agency has given the green light to vaccines created by AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, Sinopharm and Sinovac.





Source – www.aljazeera.com

Advertisement

News

Ethiopia elections 2021: Abiy Ahmed faces first vote amid conflict

Published

on

By


His reformist zeal saw him win the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize, but just a year later, he waged a military operation in his own country – deploying troops to Tigray to oust the TPLF as the region’s ruling party after it seized military bases in what Mr Abiy saw as a bid to overthrow him.



Source – www.bbc.co.uk

Continue Reading

News

New Cabinet to Be Sworn-In Today

Published

on

By


Parliament has scheduled today Monday 21, 2021 for the inauguration of the new cabinet ministers.

For the whole of last week, 79 ministers were vetted by Parliament’s Appointments Committee led by Deputy Speaker Anita Among.

Two other appointees missed out reportedly due to health related challenges.

The swearing in event is being conducted with extreme caution by ensuring that all in attendance are free of Covid19.

President Yoweri Museveni was on Friday 18 forced to lock the country after fatalities of the novel virus spiked again.

Earlier on, Parliament was forced to scale down its work force after rumours that over 100 Members of Parliament were battling Covid-19.

The Institution’s Director of Communications Chris Obore however clarified on Friday that those affected attended crowded events; The State of Nation Address (SONA) and Budget Reading events.

The above events were held on June 4 and June 10, 2021 respectively.

“Over 3,000 people that included MPs, staff of Parliament, Police, ISO, SFC, Service Providers, Journalists, Prisons staff and invited guests were tested for COVID-19,” Obore explained.

“Out of all those tested for the events, approximately 100 came out positive. Note that Parliament has 529MPs (approximately 30 Parliament staff were manning the events,” he pointed out.

Obore refuted allegations the one hundred cases were from a sample of more than 3000 and disclosed that some had already recovered.

The post New Cabinet to Be Sworn-In Today first appeared on ChimpReports.



Source – chimpreports.com

Continue Reading

News

Policeman Arrested for Shooting Student while Chasing Suspect

Published

on

By


A policeman belonging to Flying Squad Unit in Arua City has been arrested for shooting and injuring a 16-year old pupil while chasing a suspect.

Hussein Yusuf of Oyoze Cell in Arua Central Division is admitted to hospital after both legs were shattered after he was shot at when four police officers fired indiscriminately as they pursued a suspected criminal.

According to relatives of the victim, the minor was performing ablution for 1pm prayers near their home yesterday when bullets caught him in the legs and he fell down. Yusuf Ismail, an elder brother to the victim said he had come out of the house to see what was happening as bullets were fired only so see his brother bleeding helplessly on the ground.

Hussein’s sister, Samari Eyotaru said her brother was rushed to Arua regional referral hospital where it was established through imaging scan that both his two legs were broken

Following the incident, relatives of the victim informed the police at Arua CPS who swung into action and opened a case of attempted murder under Arua SD Ref. 54/16/06/2021 against one of the officers, whose name they are however withholding saying that revealing it at this stage would jeopardize investigations.

Hudson Ocheng, the Police Spokesperson for West Nile confirmed the incident and said investigations are ongoing into the incident.

Ocheng added that the police officers fired after meeting resistance from the community who blocked them from arresting a suspect in connection with the theft of a motorcycle Reg. No. UFE 159N.

Reports from the relatives of Hussein indicate that by Thursday evening, doctors at Arua Regional Referral Hospital had referred the victim for further management at Lacor hospital as police had reportedly gone into negotiations with the family on footing the medical bills and probable compensation.

Since the disbanding of the Flying Squad more than three years ago, the W. Nile Police Flying Squad has apparently continued to operate independent of CID supervision under which they were placed for deployment and operations.

The post Policeman Arrested for Shooting Student while Chasing Suspect first appeared on ChimpReports.



Source – chimpreports.com

Continue Reading

Trending