Connect with us

News

Jordan security forces injured during night ‘riots’ in Amman | Middle East News

Published

on


Tribal supporters of a lawmaker who was banned from Parliament clash with police in Jordan’s capital, authorities said.

Jordan’s security forces have faced “armed attacks” in the capital Amman, according to the authorities, after tribal supporters of a lawmaker who was banned from the kingdom’s parliament clashed with the police on Saturday.

The lawmaker, Osama al-Ajarma, was banned from the legislature for a year late last month for insulting the body in a speech, inciting calls for protests by members of his tribe.

The official Jordanian news agency Petra cited the interior ministry saying that some members of the security forces were injured after Saturday’s violence in the Malha area near the road leading to Queen Alia International Airport.

In a separate statement published by the agency, the security services said that four members of a security force who were “dealing with riots in the Naour area were injured while they were trying to stop the rioters”.

‘The rule of law’

The media spokesman for the public security directorate said: “A security force dealt with rioting, burning vehicles and shooting in the air by a group of people on Saturday evening, in the Naour area. As a result of these actions, four public security men were injured and taken to hospital.”

Earlier, the interior ministry said in a statement that it was investigating calls that had gone out to hold gatherings that would violate the law, similar to previous gatherings that “prejudice societal peace and the rule of law”.

The ministry also called on Jordanians “to distance themselves from illegal and unauthorised activities”, stressing that it will not allow such activities to take place.



Source – www.aljazeera.com

Advertisement

News

Eddie Mutwe, Nubian Li Released on Bail

Published

on

By


The General Court Martial in Makindye has on Monday released on bail the remaining members of the National Unity Platform who have been on remand since December last year.

The released include Bobi Wine bodyguard Eddie Mutwe,Singer Nubian Li and Producer Dan Magic.

The released are facing charges related to possession of fire arms.

The group had made several attempts at bail but kept getting stonewalled by government prosecution, on different grounds.

In the last court sitting in which teh army court released 17 of the 35 NUP supporters, Chairman Gen Court Martial sent back Eddie Mutwe and his group on remand, on grounds that prosecution was still examining their affidavits.

The group was arrested on December 30th 2020 in Kalangala district, while on the campaign trail with their candidate Robert Kyagulanyi.

“All our comrades who were arrested last year from Kalangala have been released on bail. These have spent six months while under detention for no crime whatsoever. Thanks to our legal team and everyone who has worked tirelessly to ensure these comrades regain their freedom,” NUP said in a statement.

This story is being updated

The post Eddie Mutwe, Nubian Li Released on Bail first appeared on ChimpReports.



Source – chimpreports.com

Continue Reading

News

Kanungu DHO Dr Sebudde Dies of Covid19

Published

on

By


Dr Stephen Ssebudde the Kanungu District Health Officer has succumbed to COVID-19.

Dr Ssebudde passed away on Sunday evening at Entebbe hospital where he has been receiving treatment for Covid19 after he started feeling unwell early this week.

News of his death was confirmed by a family who told this reporter that Ssebudde died at around 6Pm after three days of admission in Entebbe Hospital.

“Kanungu District Health Officer Dr Ssebudde died at around 6pm today after 3 days of admission in Entebbe Hospital. As per family, RIP” message from a family member reads.

Hajji Shaffiq Ssekandi the Kanungu Resident District Commissioner who also heads the District COVID-19 taskforce described Ssebudde’s death as a big blow to the district health department since he has been working selflessly to ensure that all people in the community are equally served when it comes to health.

His death comes at a time when the country has already registered cumulative confirmed covid19 cases of 61,977 representing a test positivity rate of 18.7%.

The country has 884 Active cases on admission, 48,160 Cumulative recoveries, and 428 total deaths.

According to Ministerial statistics, 777,895 Persons have so far been vaccinated against COVID-19.

The post Kanungu DHO Dr Sebudde Dies of Covid19 first appeared on ChimpReports.



Source – chimpreports.com

Continue Reading

News

Iran says it has broad agreement with the US on lifting sanctions | Boycott Divest and Sanctions News

Published

on

By


The landmark accord has been delayed because there are some sticking points, but not an impasse, Iran said.

By Bloomberg

Iran said it has reached a broad agreement with the U.S. over the lifting of sanctions on its industrial sectors, including energy, but warned there was “very little time left” for world powers to revive a 2015 nuclear deal.

Saeed Khatibzadeh, spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry, didn’t give more detail on the potential easing of trade restrictions, which have all but prevented the Islamic Republic from exporting oil and battered its economy. The landmark accord was being delayed because there are still sticking points, he told reporters in Tehran on Monday.

Oil markets are closely watching the negotiations, which are taking place in Vienna, for any clues as to when the OPEC member will be able to resume crude sales and how quickly Washington will allow it to ramp up production.

“Some minute technical, political, legal and practical issues remain,” Khatibzadeh said. “No task was impossible for negotiators” and there’s no impasse, he said.

Brent crude rose 1% to $73.43 a barrel at 8:50 a.m. in London, extending its gain this year to 42%. Traders have pushed back their estimates for Iran’s oil comeback as the talks drag on.

World powers are trying to revive the 2015 agreement that the U.S. abandoned three years ago. It restricted Tehran’s atomic activities in return for sanctions relief.

On Saturday, Iran’s lead envoy in Vienna, Abbas Araghchi, said a deal was unlikely before presidential elections in his country this Friday.

President Hassan Rouhani — who negotiated the original deal in 2015 — is due to leave office in August after serving two terms. He is widely expected to be replaced by Ebrahim Raisi, a cleric generally seen as hostile to engaging with the U.S.

Still, a government spokesman said last week that the decision to try to resuscitate the accord was made by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and won’t be affected by Rouhani’s departure.



Source – www.aljazeera.com

Continue Reading

Trending