Connect with us

News

COVID-19: Museveni Announces School Closures, Travel Curbs

Published

on


President Museveni has this Sunday evening announced new measures to control the deadly COVID-19 resurgence, blocking inter-district public transport and social gatherings.

Results of COVID-19 tests done on 4 June 2021 confirmed 1,259 new cases out of 7,289 samples tested.

The cumulative confirmed cases are 52,935.

Nine people died on June 4, bringing the total COVID-19 deaths to 383 since the outbreak of the pandemic in March 2020.

While the lockdown measures have succeeded in containing the outbreak so far, they have also caused significant damage to the economy.

Below is a summary of measures revealed by the President. 

1. Schools closed for 42 days effective tomorrow

2. Churches, mosques and open air worship closed for 42 days

3. All teachers to get vaccinated before returning to school. He said employers have the right to protect the school community from non-compliant  teachers.

4. Public, cultural gatherings and conferences suspended for 42 days.

5. Travel from category A countries such as India remain suspended except for returning Ugandans.

6. Agriculture activities like cultivating and ploughing gardens and fishing to continue as they are main sources of food.

7. Non agricultural activities like factory, construction, shopping malls and super markets to continue while observing SOPs. However, non-compliance with SOPs will lead to closure.

8. Factories, hotels, salons, markets, to operate under strict observance of SOPs such as washing hands and wearing masks.

9. Marriage ceremonies and other social gatherings such as vigils and funerals allowed with a maximum of 20 people under strict observance of SOPs.

10. House parties are strictly banned with security forces to enforce compliance.

11. Number of persons at burials and vigils should not exceed 20 people.

12. Weekly non-food markets suspended for 42 days to prevent spread of COVID-19.

13. Cattle markets suspended for 42 days. Museveni said people travel from different places and converge in markets which become super spreaders of the virus.

14. All public transport between and across districts are suspended for 42 days from 10th of June 2021 to allow students return home.

15. All inter district travel banned except between Kampala, Wakiso and Mukono for 42 days. Only cargo trucks excepted. Registered travel vehicles and service vehicles exempted.

16. Public transport allowed within districts. Private cars to carry only three people including the driver.

17. Cargo trucks are allowed only 2 people.

The post COVID-19: Museveni Announces School Closures, Travel Curbs first appeared on ChimpReports.



Source – chimpreports.com

Advertisement

News

Apple Daily could shut ‘in days’ after Hong Kong asset freeze | Freedom of the Press News

Published

on

By


Company adviser says action under security law means it cannot access some $50 million in funds to pay staff and vendors.

Hong Kong pro-democracy newspaper Apple Daily will be forced to shut “in a matter of days” after authorities used the national security law imposed by China to freeze the company’s assets as it arrested the paper’s editor and four other directors, an adviser to jailed tycoon Jimmy Lai told Reuters on Monday.

Mark Simon, speaking by phone from the United States, said the company was no longer able to access its funds and would be holding a board meeting on Monday to discuss how to move forward.

“We thought we’d be able to make it to the end of the month,” Simon told the news agency. “It’s just getting harder and harder. It’s essentially a matter of days.”

His comments signal closure is imminent even after Apple Daily said on Sunday the freezing of its assets had left the newspaper with cash for “a few weeks” for normal operations.”

The news comes two days after editor Ryan Law, 47, and chief executive Cheung Kim-hung, 59, were denied bail after being charged under the security law with collusion with foreign forces.

Apple Daily’s editor-in-chief Ryan Law arrives back at the detention centre after he was remanded in custody on Saturday [Lam Yik/Reuters]

Three other senior executives were also arrested last Thursday when 500 police officers raided the newspaper’s offices in a case that has drawn condemnation from Western nations, human rights groups and the chief United Nations spokesperson for human rights.

The three have been released on bail.

Simon told Reuters it had become impossible to conduct banking operations.

“Vendors tried to put money into our accounts and were rejected. We can’t bank. Some vendors tried to do that as a favour. We just wanted to find out and it was rejected,” he said.

Speaking earlier to US news channel CNN, Simon said the company had about $50 million available, but was unable to access the funds.

The publisher has come under increasing pressure since its owner Jimmy Lai was arrested under the national security law last August, which marked the first time the company’s headquarters was raided. Lai, 73, is now jailed and facing trial under the national security law. In May, the authorities also froze some assets belonging to the longtime critic of Beijing has also had some of his assets frozen.

Three companies related to Apple Daily are also being prosecuted for collusion with a foreign country and authorities have frozen HK$18 million ($2.3 million) of their assets.

China imposed the national security law on Hong Kong last June saying it was necessary to restore “stability” to a territory that had been rocked by mass protests in 2019, some of which turned violent.

The broadly-worded law criminalises acts such as subversion, sedition, collusion with foreign forces and secession with possible life imprisonment, but critics have said it is being used to suppress legitimate political debate with dozens of pro-democracy politicians and activists among the more than 100 arrested since it was brought into force.





Source – www.aljazeera.com

Continue Reading

News

Birmingham Classic: Ons Jabeur beats Daria Kasatkina to win first title

Published

on

By


Tunisian second seed Ons Jabeur defeated Russia’s Daria Kasatkina in straight sets to win her first singles title at the Birmingham Classic.

World number 24 Jabeur triumphed 7-5 6-4 against the fourth seed to become the first Arab woman to win a WTA title.

In Berlin, Russian qualifier Liudmila Samsonova stunned Swiss fifth seed Belinda Bencic to win her first title.

The 22-year-old world number 106 battled back from a set down to win 1-6 6-1 6-3 in her first final.

Victories for Jabeur and Samsonova mean there have now been 10 first-time singles winners on the women’s Tour this year.

Jabeur broke Kasatkina’s serve three times to prevail in the first set, before successive breaks at the start of the second put the 26-year-old in control at 4-0.

Two-time Grand Slam quarter-finalist Kasatkina recovered to 4-3, but Jabeur held on to win a singles final at the third attempt.

It was a breakthrough week for Samsonova in Germany, during which she also defeated seventh seed Victoria Azarenka of Belaurus in the semi-final.

World number 12 Bencic won the first five games as she dominated the opening set, but Samsonova matched that feat in the second before completing her comeback with breaks in the first and ninth games in the deciding set.



Source – www.bbc.co.uk

Continue Reading

News

Birtukan Mideksa: Ethiopia’s electoral board chairperson

Published

on

By


Restless for change, Ms Birtukan moved back into politics, playing a key role in the formation of the Coalition for Unity and Democracy (CUD) to present a united front against the EPRDF in the 2005 parliamentary election, which was widely seen as the most fiercely contested poll in Ethiopia’s history, with the opposition claiming that it had been robbed of victory.



Source – www.bbc.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending