Connect with us

Politics

Military Officers Raid Bobi Wine Home a Day to Elections

Published

on


Military officers have Tuesday morning raided the home of National Unity Platform – NUP Presidential candidate Robert Sentamu Kyagulanyi – Bobi Wine.

At the time of the raid, Bobi Wine was having an interview with Kenyan radio station Hot 96 which was forced to end prematurely.

Reasons for the raid remain unknown as the Uganda People’s Defence Forces haven’t made a comment on the matter.

According to Bobi Wine, the military and his private security were involved in a fracas as they tried to break into his compound.

“So I am sorry even right now as we speak, we are being raided by the military. I have to end the interview because I can see soldiers beating up my security guards. I have to go down and give it attention,” he on live interview.

This is a developing story, refresh for more details.

Comments

comments





Source – thetowerpost.com

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

PHOTOS: Opposition Presidential Candidates Hold Closed Door Meeting a Day to Elections

Published

on

By


Opposition leaders have Tuesday morning held a closed door meeting to discuss matters yet to be identified with just a day to general elections.

The meeting held at Hotel Africana in Kampala was attended by National Unity Platform – NUP Presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi, Forum for Democratic Change – FDC presidential candidate Patrick Amuriat Oboi and Alliance for National Transformation – ANT Candidate Gen. Greg Mugisha Muntu.

Also in attendance was former FDC presidential candidate Col. Dr. Kizza Besigye, NUP spokesperson and Nakawa West MP candidate Joel Ssenyonyi and two other members.

Details of the meeting remain scanty.

Bobi Wine arrives at Hotel Africana. PHOTO/KFM

This is a developing story, refresh for more details.

Comments

comments





Source – thetowerpost.com

Continue Reading

Politics

FDC Denies Backing Tumukunde – TowerPostNews

Published

on

By


Opposition Forum for Democratic Change FDC has blasted as fake, a letter allegedly written party Secretary General Nandala Mafabi which claims that their Presidential candidate Patrick Amuriat Oboi has dropped out the Presidential race.

The letter which is dated January 11th 2020 and already making rounds on Social Media purports that FDC made a unanimous decision to back Independent Candidate Gen. Henry Tumukunde as Amuriat steps down.

“Following the impromptu NEC meeting held over the weekend, a unanimous decision has been taken to back Gen Henry Kakurugu Tumukunde, the Renewed Uganda candidate as opposition candidate for 2021 general elections,” the letter says.

But posting on their Twitter account, the FDC who refused to quote the letter said it was fake calling on people not to spread it further.

“A fake letter dated 11 Jan 2021 and allegedly written by Nandala Mafabi, which we will not quote here, is circulating on social media. Please don’t circulate it further. Also, treat it with the contempt it deserves,” the party posted.

Meanwhile, Candidate Amuriat is still under police custody having been arrested and charged with doing a negligent act likely to cause an infection of a disease and deliberately blocking traffic at the busy Natete-Ndeeba road, while deliberately obstructing other road users and motorists.

He is being held at Katwe Police station.

Comments

comments





Source – thetowerpost.com

Continue Reading

Politics

Facebook Explains Why they Suspended NRM Leaning Accounts

Published

on

By


Social Media giant Facebook has come out to explain why they suspended and deleted accounts of a number of government officials and a number of NRM leaning micro-bloggers.

Accounts of top NRM supporters including Entertainment and gossip blogger Ashburg Kato, Olaxes Isma, Full Fugure among others were deleted last week.

Facebook’s head of communication for Sub Saharan Africa Kezia Anim-Addo said the suspended engaged in Coordinated Inauthentic Behaviour to target public debate ahead of this week’s general election.

“They used fake and duplicate accounts to manage pages, comment on other people’s content, impersonate users, re-share posts in groups to make them appear more popular that they were,” she said.

Anim-Addo said the network was linked to the government ministry of information and communications technology.

“Given the impending election in Uganda, we moved quickly to investigate and take down this network.”

President Museveni’s senior press secretary Don Wanyama, who saw both his Facebook and Instagram account shut down, accused the company of seeking to influence the election.

“Shame on the foreign forces that think they can aid and plant a puppet leadership on Uganda by disabling online accounts of (ruling party) NRM supporters,” he said on Twitter.

“You won’t take away President Kaguta Museveni” he added, using the president’s second name.

Museveni’s online account is still active but many government officials and members of the ruling party have seen their pages taken down.

The president has long accused foreign organisations and elements of backing Wine in a bid to undermine government.

Anim-Addo said over 100 such networks seeking to manipulate public debate have been removed worldwide since 2017.

In December, networks managed from Russia and France — one linked to the French army — were deleted over accusations of interference operations in Africa.

And in October Facebook shut down the page of a conspiracy-fuelled political party in New Zealand accused of spreading disinformation about the coronavirus ahead of elections there.

Social media giants such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and others have come under increasing scrutiny over the content they allow to spread on their networks.

They notably blocked US President Donald Trump after Trump supporters stormed the US Capitol last Wednesday.

Comments

comments





Source – thetowerpost.com

Continue Reading

Trending