Donald Trump to target Biden on final day of RNC: Live updates | Trump News
- United States President Donald Trump is scheduled to deliver a speech formally accepting his renomination for president.
- The final night of the Republican National Convention (RNC) blends live in-person speeches with prerecorded segments.
- Speakers so far have painted a picture of Trump as inclusive of women, family, immigrants and Black Americans at a time of deep political division within the nation.
- Vice President Mike Pence took centre stage last night to make the case that Trump will bring the US economy back to its pre-pandemic heights if given four more years in office.
- The convention is being held as Hurricane Laura slams into Louisiana with “unsurvivable force”.
- Protests and violence have shaken Kenosha, Wisconsin in the wake of a police shooting of a Black man. A 17-year-old white teenager has been charged with murder after two other people were shot dead and another seriously wounded during the protests.
Here are the latest updates:
22:00 GMT – Trump’s big night
President Donald Trump is expected to stand on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC tonight to accept his party’s nomination for president, presenting himself as the last barrier protecting an American way of life under siege from radical forces.
Trump is expected to paint an optimistic vision of the US’s future if he were to win another term, including an eventual triumph over the coronavirus pandemic that has killed more than 180,000 people, left millions unemployed and rewritten many rules of society.
“We have spent the last four years reversing the damage Joe Biden inflicted over the last 47 years,” Trump was expected to say, according to speech excerpts confirmed by his campaign. “At no time before have voters faced a clearer choice between two parties, two visions, two philosophies or two agendas.”
The Democratic agenda, the speech excepts claimed, “is the most extreme set of proposals ever put forward by a major party nominee”.
21:30 GMT – Recap of Mike Pence speech
Pence said the US needs four more years of Trump in the White House, and blasted Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.
“When you consider their agenda, it’s clear: Joe Biden would be nothing more than a Trojan horse for a radical left,” Pence claimed. “The choice in this election has never been clearer and the stakes have never been higher.”
He also stuck to the theme of law and order, echoed by most speakers throughout the night.
“Joe Biden says America is systemically racist. And that law enforcement in America has a quote, ‘implicit bias’ against minorities. And when asked whether he’d support cutting funding to law enforcement, and he replied, ‘Yes, absolutely.'”
“The hard truth is … you won’t be safe in Joe Biden’s America.”
Read more here.
Al Jazeera and news agencies