Connect with us

News

Concerns for media as foreign journalist denied visa in Hong Kong | News

Published

on


Authorities in Hong Kong have denied a work visa to an Irish journalist at the Hong Kong Free Press (HKFP), according to the newspaper, in a move rights groups condemned as the latest sign of declining press freedom in the semi-autonomous Chinese territory.

The HKFP said on Thursday that Hong Kong’s Immigration Department denied a work permit for its incoming editor, Aaron Mc Nicholas, after almost six months of waiting.

The outlet said the department gave no official reason for the permit refusal.

“It appears we have been targeted under the climate of the new security law because of our impartial, fact-based coverage,” said Tom Grundy, HKFP editor-in-chief.

Neither the newspaper nor Mc Nicholas, who had previously worked at Bloomberg and Storyful in Hong Kong, had been denied a visa before, Grundy said.

“Other sectors can expect to be subjected to a similar bureaucratic rigmarole in the light of the security law,” he said, warning: “Businesses can be assured that visa issues are a feature, not a bug.”

Hong Kong in July rejected a visa application for an Australian reporter at the New York Times, amid a tit-for-tat clash between China and the United States over the treatment of journalists. Both countries had also expelled journalists in the spiralling dispute, but the latest move affects a local, non-US news outlet.

Steven Butler at the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) said: “Denial of a work visa to a thriving local news operation bashes the most basic promise of press freedom repeatedly given by the Hong Kong government”, on the organisation’s website.

“It also severely undermines Hong Kong’s status as an international city and financial center, which cannot flourish unless journalists are free to do their work.”

Special unit

In a statement to HKFP, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) called on Hong Kong authorities to reverse the decision.

Cedric Alviani, RSF’s East Asia chief, added that the visa refusal was another sign of declining press freedom in Hong Kong and said it “clearly goes against press freedom, a principle enshrined in the Basic Law”, the city’s mini-constitution.

Earlier in August, Hong Kong police raided the offices of the Apple Daily newspaper and detained its founder, Jimmy Lai, under the national security law, which came into effect on June 30 and bans any act Beijing considers secession, subversion, terrorism or collusion with foreign forces.

At the same time, local media in Hong Kong reported that the city’s immigration department had set up a new national security unit to handle “sensitive visa applications, such as those from foreign media”.

Hong Kong’s Foreign Correspondent’s Club said on August 6 that reporters working in the territory were experiencing “highly unusual” visa delays.

“The delays have affected journalists of multiple nationalities and in some cases have prevented journalists from working,” the FCCHK said.



Source – www.aljazeera.com

News

Another blow as Judge throws out Kiggundu’s lawyer Muwema

Published

on

When court sat on Friday to hear the Kiggundu’s application to stop independent audit, he did not have a written application, and Justice Henry Adonyo instead ordered the plaintiff’s lawyer Fred Muwema to go make a written application seeking court to dismiss the audit and return to court on September 30 for a hearing of the application. But this adds more pressure on Kiggundu who is choking with the loans.

On 31 August, the judge ordered the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda (ICPAU) to carry out and independent audit into the accounts of the businessman and financial statements exchanged between the two parties, and present a report to court.

When asked by journalists why he has filed for an application seeking dismissal of the audit, Fred Muwema had this to say. “We are saying that let the validity and legality of those credit facilities (loans) be decided first before you can audit” He said.

The ruling on the application of the main suit to determine whether the businessman owes loan arrears to the bank is set for 5th October 2020, after which a date for hearing of the case will be set.

Background

Hamis Kiggundu through his companies Ham enterprises and Kiggs International (U) ltd sued DTB branches in Kenya and Uganda for deducting money from his accounts something which the bank contends and said they only acted as per the loan agreement of deducting 30% from Kiggundu’s accounts to recover the credit facilities rendered to him between February 2011 and September 2016

But Court documents filed by the bank in their defense shows that Kiggundu, between February 2011 and September 2016, was granted various credit facilities by the said DTB Banks.

First, via Ham Enterprises Limited, Kiggundu obtained a loan of $6,663,453 and another Sh2.5bn from the DTB (U) to finance his projects in the real estate business.

Later, according to New Vision, he got a facility worth $4.5m through Kiggs International (U) Limited from DTB (K) and mortgaged his properties, which include Plot 328 located at Kawuku on Block 248 Kyadondo, three plots that include 36, 37 and 38 on Folio 1533 Victoria Crescent II situated in Kyadondo and land on Makerere Hill Road on LRV 3716 Folio 10 Plot 923 Block 9.

Documents show that as of January 21, 2020, Kiggundu was in default on payment obligations of $6.298m on the loan facility of $6.663m, as well as sh2.885b on the demand overdraft facility of sh1.5b and the temporary demand overdraft facility of sh1b.

The banks say that Kiggundu was in default on the payment of another $3.662m out of a total loan facility of $4m and another $458,604 on a loan facility of $500,000, as of January 21, 2020.

The DTB consequently served him with a demand notice to either pay up or lose the assets that he submitted as collateral security. The bank threatened to attach a plot on Makerere Hill Road and other prime commercial properties.

Analysts says that Kiggundu’s lawyer is playing delaying tactics aimed at stopping the independent audit as ordered by the court earlier. Kiggundu had wanted court to believe his own audit of loan transactions, but that would amount to injustice to the banks that gave him money-DTB Uganda and DTB Kenya.

Continue Reading

News

Minister Rukutana charged with attempted murder, remanded

Published

on

By


The state minister for Labour, Gender and Economic Development Mwesigwa Rukutana has been remanded to Kyamugorani prison in Mbarara district.

Rukutana appeared before Ntungamo Grade One magistrate Nazifah Namayanja this afternoon from where he was charged with seven offences related to attempted murder, assault, malicious damage, and threatening violence.

Rukutana was captured in a video that went viral on social media showing him grabbing a gun from one of his bodyguards and started shooting at a vehicle belonging to supporters of his political rival Naome Kabasharira. At the time of the incident, Rukutana had just lost the Rushenyi country NRM flag to Kabasharira.

The prosecution alleges that on September 5, 2020, at Kagugu village in Ntungamo district, Rukutana and others still at large assaulted Julius Niwamanya and threatened to kill or injure him together with three others. The others are Stuart Kamukama, Dan Rwibirungi, and Moses Kamukama. 

It is also alleged that Rukutana also willfully and unlawfully damaged a motor vehicle registration number UAR 840X Toyota Rav 4 type which belongs to Moses Muhumuza.

According to the Judiciary public relations officer, Jameson Karemani, Rukutana has not taken a plea of these charges against him since they can only be tried by the chief magistrate who was not in court today.

As a result, the magistrate decided to send him to Kyamugorani, awaiting his return to court on Tuesday.      





Source – observer.ug

Continue Reading

News

Lira district headquarters closed over COVID-19

Published

on

By


Lira district headquarters have been closed after one staff tested positive for COVID-19 last week. 

On Monday morning, district staff were blocked at the gate with only the deputy chief administrative officer, his secretary and the receptionist allowed access to their offices. 

Paul Samuel Mbiiwa, the deputy chief administrative officer says that only heads of department will be allowed at the headquarters while the rest will work from home. He adds that the restriction will help to curb the spread of the virus.

“You see corona is not a joke. We have taken a step at fighting it and that is why you are seeing the staff outside. Even in my office here I do not want people to come if there is anything we can discuss on the phone.”

Francis Okello Olwa, a senior community development officer who doubles as the district spokesperson says that the entire district offices will be fumigated and closed for two days.

Health authorities in the district are planning to take samples from all the staff because they could have interacted with the one who tested positive. Currently, there are 19 COVID-19 patients under treatment at Lira regional referral hospital.     

On Sunday four health workers at the hospital tested positive for COVID-19. Dr Patrick Odongo, a senior medical officer at the hospital also succumbed to the virus.  





Source – observer.ug

Continue Reading

Trending