Connect with us

News

Rwanda, Burundi Intelligence Chiefs Meet Over Border Incursions  

Published

on


Rwanda, Burundi intelligence chiefs meet over Border incursions

Rwanda and Burundi intelligence chiefs have Wednesday morning met at the two countries’ common border of Nemba to discuss insecurity, Chimp Corps report.

The development comes just days after 15 people were killed by gunmen in Bugarama in Rumonge Province, southern Burundi.

Rebel movement, Red Tabara, claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it killed police personnel and militiamen.

Gitega believes Rwanda has been quietly arming and training Red Tabara rebels who are operating in South Kivu near the Burundi border.

Both countries have made counter accusations of incursions by each other’s armies or proxy rebel movements.

Today’s meeting is facilitated by regional forces under the Expanded Joint Verification Mechanism (EJVM).

EJVM is a body tasked to provide professional and objective findings regarding security incidents mainly by member country’s security forces on the common borders of the member states of International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR).

At the meeting, Rwanda’s delegation is headed by Brig. Gen. Vincent Nyakarundi, the head of Rwanda Defense Intelligence, while Burundi is represented by Col. Ernest Musaba, also the head of Burundian Military intelligence.

The two countries have been at loggerheads since the 2015 coup attempt in Burundi.

Gitega accuses Rwanda of masterminding the failed attempt to seize power from then President Pierre Nkurunziza, a claim Kigali denies.

On its part, Kigali says Burundi has been arming Rwandan rebels especially FNL to attack Rwanda.

Today’s meeting is seen as a step forward in resolving deep tensions between Burundi and Rwanda which maintain heavily-armed soldiers at their common border.

In June this year, four unidentified gunmen from Burundi were killed after they attacked a defensive position of the Rwandan military in southern Rwanda.

Sources in both the RDF and Burundi told Chimpreports that ever since the June attack, RDF has attacked Burundi army’s positions twice, killing a number of soldiers.

The counter attacks have since raised fears of a deeper military conflict, possibly leading to the intervention of EJVM.

Burundi President Evariste Ndayishimiye recently said his government would not have bilateral ties with a “hypocritical state” seeking to destabilise his country, a veiled reference to Rwanda.

“If they really want to revive relations with Burundi, let them hand these criminals over to us, so that we can prosecute them. Burundians will never be satisfied until those responsible for the 2015 crisis (failed coup) are punished,” he added.

Ties

President Kagame had earlier said his government was ready to work with the new leadership in Burundi.

“There is history that led to the bad relations between our two sister countries but we are ready to work with President Évariste Ndayishimiye of Burundi to address those issues,” said Kagame.

Matters worsened in July with Burundi accusing Kigali of holding Burundian refugees hostage.

“The government of Burundi calls on United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNCHR) and the host government (Rwanda) to ensure that the Burundian refugees in Rwanda who have expressed their desire to return to their country are protected as well as their families, in accordance with the spirit and the letter of the said convention,” said Burundi presidency Secretary General Prosper Ntahorwamiye.

Government-leaning media outlets in Rwanda responded with interviews of refugees who said they didn’t want to return home for security reasons.



Source – chimpreports.com

News

Another blow as Judge throws out Kiggundu’s lawyer Muwema

Published

on

When court sat on Friday to hear the Kiggundu’s application to stop independent audit, he did not have a written application, and Justice Henry Adonyo instead ordered the plaintiff’s lawyer Fred Muwema to go make a written application seeking court to dismiss the audit and return to court on September 30 for a hearing of the application. But this adds more pressure on Kiggundu who is choking with the loans.

On 31 August, the judge ordered the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda (ICPAU) to carry out and independent audit into the accounts of the businessman and financial statements exchanged between the two parties, and present a report to court.

When asked by journalists why he has filed for an application seeking dismissal of the audit, Fred Muwema had this to say. “We are saying that let the validity and legality of those credit facilities (loans) be decided first before you can audit” He said.

The ruling on the application of the main suit to determine whether the businessman owes loan arrears to the bank is set for 5th October 2020, after which a date for hearing of the case will be set.

Background

Hamis Kiggundu through his companies Ham enterprises and Kiggs International (U) ltd sued DTB branches in Kenya and Uganda for deducting money from his accounts something which the bank contends and said they only acted as per the loan agreement of deducting 30% from Kiggundu’s accounts to recover the credit facilities rendered to him between February 2011 and September 2016

But Court documents filed by the bank in their defense shows that Kiggundu, between February 2011 and September 2016, was granted various credit facilities by the said DTB Banks.

First, via Ham Enterprises Limited, Kiggundu obtained a loan of $6,663,453 and another Sh2.5bn from the DTB (U) to finance his projects in the real estate business.

Later, according to New Vision, he got a facility worth $4.5m through Kiggs International (U) Limited from DTB (K) and mortgaged his properties, which include Plot 328 located at Kawuku on Block 248 Kyadondo, three plots that include 36, 37 and 38 on Folio 1533 Victoria Crescent II situated in Kyadondo and land on Makerere Hill Road on LRV 3716 Folio 10 Plot 923 Block 9.

Documents show that as of January 21, 2020, Kiggundu was in default on payment obligations of $6.298m on the loan facility of $6.663m, as well as sh2.885b on the demand overdraft facility of sh1.5b and the temporary demand overdraft facility of sh1b.

The banks say that Kiggundu was in default on the payment of another $3.662m out of a total loan facility of $4m and another $458,604 on a loan facility of $500,000, as of January 21, 2020.

The DTB consequently served him with a demand notice to either pay up or lose the assets that he submitted as collateral security. The bank threatened to attach a plot on Makerere Hill Road and other prime commercial properties.

Analysts says that Kiggundu’s lawyer is playing delaying tactics aimed at stopping the independent audit as ordered by the court earlier. Kiggundu had wanted court to believe his own audit of loan transactions, but that would amount to injustice to the banks that gave him money-DTB Uganda and DTB Kenya.

Continue Reading

News

Minister Rukutana charged with attempted murder, remanded

Published

on

By


The state minister for Labour, Gender and Economic Development Mwesigwa Rukutana has been remanded to Kyamugorani prison in Mbarara district.

Rukutana appeared before Ntungamo Grade One magistrate Nazifah Namayanja this afternoon from where he was charged with seven offences related to attempted murder, assault, malicious damage, and threatening violence.

Rukutana was captured in a video that went viral on social media showing him grabbing a gun from one of his bodyguards and started shooting at a vehicle belonging to supporters of his political rival Naome Kabasharira. At the time of the incident, Rukutana had just lost the Rushenyi country NRM flag to Kabasharira.

The prosecution alleges that on September 5, 2020, at Kagugu village in Ntungamo district, Rukutana and others still at large assaulted Julius Niwamanya and threatened to kill or injure him together with three others. The others are Stuart Kamukama, Dan Rwibirungi, and Moses Kamukama. 

It is also alleged that Rukutana also willfully and unlawfully damaged a motor vehicle registration number UAR 840X Toyota Rav 4 type which belongs to Moses Muhumuza.

According to the Judiciary public relations officer, Jameson Karemani, Rukutana has not taken a plea of these charges against him since they can only be tried by the chief magistrate who was not in court today.

As a result, the magistrate decided to send him to Kyamugorani, awaiting his return to court on Tuesday.      





Source – observer.ug

Continue Reading

News

Lira district headquarters closed over COVID-19

Published

on

By


Lira district headquarters have been closed after one staff tested positive for COVID-19 last week. 

On Monday morning, district staff were blocked at the gate with only the deputy chief administrative officer, his secretary and the receptionist allowed access to their offices. 

Paul Samuel Mbiiwa, the deputy chief administrative officer says that only heads of department will be allowed at the headquarters while the rest will work from home. He adds that the restriction will help to curb the spread of the virus.

“You see corona is not a joke. We have taken a step at fighting it and that is why you are seeing the staff outside. Even in my office here I do not want people to come if there is anything we can discuss on the phone.”

Francis Okello Olwa, a senior community development officer who doubles as the district spokesperson says that the entire district offices will be fumigated and closed for two days.

Health authorities in the district are planning to take samples from all the staff because they could have interacted with the one who tested positive. Currently, there are 19 COVID-19 patients under treatment at Lira regional referral hospital.     

On Sunday four health workers at the hospital tested positive for COVID-19. Dr Patrick Odongo, a senior medical officer at the hospital also succumbed to the virus.  





Source – observer.ug

Continue Reading

Trending