Connect with us


Jacob Blake protests: Timeline of unrest over police shooting | News



The United States has witnessed months of demonstrations over the police treatment of Black people and systemic racism since May, following the deaths of Ahmaud Arbery, George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and others. 

Kenosha, Wisconsin has become the latest flashpoint in the ongoing protests against racial injustice after Jacob Blake, a 29-year-old Black man, was shot and wounded by police as he leaned into his car on Sunday.

Video footage of the incident has been widely shared online, sparking protests in several US cities over police use of force.

Protests in Kenosha have turned violent, with scuffles reported between protesters and the police, as well as armed vigilante groups. Some among the demonstrators have damaged buildings and set fires and Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers authorised the deployment of the National Guard.

On Tuesday, the third night of the protests in the city, at least two people were shot dead and another was wounded. A teenager has been charged with murder in connection with the shootings.

Here is a timeline of key events: 

Sunday, August 23 – Blake shot by Kenosha police

Kenosha police responded to a “reported domestic disturbance” around 5pm (22:00 GMT) on August 23. When they arrived, Blake was reportedly attempting to de-escalate the situation, a fight between two women. 

Details were not immediately clear, but witnesses claimed they saw police confront Blake, using a taser and grappling with him before the shooting. A video taken by witnesses appears to show Blake attempting to re-enter his vehicle as two police officers pursued him.

At one point, a police officer appears to grab Blake’s shirt and shoots him in the back from close range. Witnesses say they heard at least seven shots. 

Police shooting lays bare Wisconsin’s deep partisan divide

Medical aid was administered to Blake by police and he was airlifted to a nearby hospital and reported to be in serious condition.

Prominent civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump posted the video of Blake’s shooting on his Twitter account that evening. 

The spread of the video, watched by millions on its first day, sparked protests in Kenosha, a Wisconsin city south of Milwaukee on Lake Michigan and several other US cities.

Videos and photos appeared to show demonstrators setting buildings on fire and clashing with police. 

Wisconsin Governor Evers denounced police excessive force that night. 

Monday,  August 24 – Investigation begins, National Guard deployed

The following day, Wisconsin authorities announce they have placed the officers involved in Blake’s shooting on administrative leave. 

The investigation is handled by the Wisconsin Justice Department, Wisconsin State Patrol and the Kenosha County District Attorney’s office. 

As tear gas fills the air, police try to push back demonstrators near the Kenosha County Courthouse during unrest [Scott Olson/Getty Images/AFP]

Kenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley said two questions will need to be answered before charges can be brought against the involved officers: “One, did any officer in this case commit any crimes? And two, are there any crimes we believe were committed that we can prove beyond a reasonable doubt?

“If those two things are concluded as a ‘yes,’ then criminal charges would be brought at the end of that process”, Graveley said, noting the investigation was in its early stages. 

Blake’s shooting continued to gain notoriety with politicians and sports stars like LeBron James, who has long been vocal in his support of the Black Lives Matter movement, calling for justice. 

Crump, who has handled recent high-profile cases of alleged excessive force against Black Americans by police, announced he would represent Blake’s family.

An 8pm curfew was declared, though it was ignored by many as forceful protests continued that evening. Evers deployed the National Guard, which, along with local police, were met with lobbed water bottles. 

Demonstrators also allegedly looted and sprayed graffiti on businesses. The Kenosha courthouse also became a target of the demonstrations, similar to demonstrations in Portland, Oregon. 

Authorities used tear gas and rubber-coated steel bullets to disperse the protest that evening, as demonstrations spread to larger cities. 

Tuesday, August 25 – Blake paralysed, protests continue   

Blake’s father, also named Jacob Blake, told the Chicago Sun-Times on Tuesday his son was paralysed with “eight holes” in his body from the shots. 

Crump confirmed via Twitter that same day that Blake was paralysed, saying he hoped it was not permanent. 

Protests continued to escalate, with demonstrators setting fire to a department of corrections building in Kenosha. The National Guard and police continued with crowd dispersal tactics seen frequently in recent protests. 

Evers said on Tuesday afternoon he was requesting more National Guard troops and asked demonstrators to “protest peacefully and safely”. Evers declared a state of emergency shortly thereafter. 

At a news conference featuring the Blake family that day, a lawyer representing the family announced Blake suffered damage to numerous internal organs and had  much of his colon and small intestine removed. 

One of Blake’s sisters, Zietha Blake, said police treated her brother as a “foreign object” that “didn’t belong”.

Zietha called attention to the fact that  “His kids are his world. But not only that, his family is his world. He’s upset because we’re hurt, we’re upset. He doesn’t even care about himself. He’s more so worried about us.”

Confusingly, US President Donald Trump tweeted that Evers should call in the National Guard that day, although Evers had already done so. 

Protests continued that night with demonstrators ignoring curfews and displaying the same raucous behaviour. 

Authorities responded in kind. 

Wednesday, August 26 – Two dead, one wounded in shooting, suspect arrested

Police confirmed early on Wednesday that three people had been struck by bullets during the protests that began Tuesday night in Kenosha.  

Two people died and the third victim did not suffer life-threatening injuries, police said. The shooting reportedly took place at around 11:45pm on Tuesday.

A 17-year-old was arrested and charged with murder in connection with the shooting, police said later.

Kenosha protests

A flag flies over a department of corrections building ablaze during protests, late Monday, August 24, 2020, in Kenosha, Wisconsin, over the shooting of Jacob Blake by a Kenosha Police officer a day earlier (AP Photo/Morry Gash) [Daylife

Trump said he had spoken with Governor Evers, who had agreed to accept US law enforcement support.

“TODAY, I will be sending federal law enforcement and the National Guard to Kenosha, WI to restore LAW and ORDER!” Trump wrote on Twitter, without elaborating.

Evers said in a statement he had authorised 500 members of the Wisconsin National Guard to support local law enforcement in Kenosha County, but did not confirm Trump’s claim that federal law enforcement would be deployed.

Follow here for more updates as they unfold…

Source –


Charles Mbire gains $1.2 million as stake in MTN Uganda rises above $51 million



Ugandan businessman and MTN Uganda Chairman Charles Mbire has seen the market value of his stake in MTN Uganda surge above $51 million in just two days, as the share price in the leading teleco company increased by a single digit.

The single-digit bump in the share price caused the market value of Mbire’s stake to gain UGX4.42 billion ($1.24 million) in less than two days.

The million-dollar increase in the value of his stake came after Uganda’s largest telecom company delivered the country’s largest-ever IPO through the listing of 22.4 billion ordinary shares on the Uganda Securities Exchange (USE).

Upon completing the largest IPO in Uganda’s history, MTN Uganda raised a record UGX535 billion ($150.4 million) from the applications that it received for a total of 2.9 billion shares, including incentive shares.

As of press time, Dec. 7, shares in the company were trading at UGX204.95 ($0.0574), down six basis points from their opening price this morning.

Data gathered by Billionaires.Africa revealed that since the telecom company registered its shares on the Ugandan bourse on Mon., Dec. 6, its share price has increased by 2.5 percent from UGX200 ($0.056) to UGX204.95 ($0.0574) as of the time of writing, as retail investors sustained buying interest long after the public offering.

The increase in the company’s share price caused the market value of Mbire’s 3.98-percent stake to rise from UGX178.45 billion ($49.96 million) to UGX182.86 billion ($51.2 million).

In less than two days, his stake gained more than UGX4.42 billion ($1.24 million).

In a statement after the successful listing of MTN Uganda’s shares, Mbire said the IPO shows the confidence that Ugandans and other investors have in the company, its brand and strategic intent.

“We commend all the regulators for their support in our work to become a USE-listed company and to comply in a timely manner with the listing provisions of the national telecommunications operators’ license,” he said.

Steady but sure-MBIRE who is the biggest investor on Ugandas Stock exchange with stocks valued at more than $55 million is laughing all the way to the bank after MTN declared the latest dividend payout.He has steadily grown his business empire which is believed to be more that $350 million (debt free).

Steady but sure-MBIRE who is the biggest investor on Ugandas Stock exchange with stocks valued at more than $55 million is laughing all the way to the bank after MTN declared the latest dividend payout.He has steadily grown his business empire which is believed to be more that $350. ( debt free).

He is into communications-revenue assurance-cement-distribution-oil services-real estate-oil exploration and logistics.

Source: Billionaires Africa

Continue Reading


2-year-old dies at Arua hospital as nurse demands Shs 210,000 bribe




A two-year-old child died at Arua Regional Referral hospital after a nurse, Paul Wamala demanded a bribe amounting to Shs 210,000 before carrying out an operation. 

The incident happened on Saturday, after Aron Nabil, a two-year-old child was referred to the hospital for an operation after he was diagnosed with intestinal obstruction, a medical emergency caused by a blockage that keeps food or liquid from passing through the small intestine or large intestine.

According to the relatives of the child, Wamala allegedly asked them to initially give him Shs 30,000 to buy medicines to commence the procedure. He however returned shortly asking for an additional Shs 180,000 from the relatives.

Emily Adiru, a resident of Osu cell, in Bazar Ward, Central Division, and a relative of the child says although they paid money to Wamala, he abandoned the child without carrying out the operation. According to Adiru, Wamala later refunded Shs 200,000 through mobile money, after she threatened to report him to the police.

“They told us this boy needs an operation which was supposed to be done in the morning on Sunday at around 7 am. They took him inside there, some doctor came from the theatre, he called one of us and said, we should pay Shs 70,000 for buying medicine to start the operation. We paid the Shs 30,000 [but] after paying the Shs 30,000, after some minutes, the same man came and opened the door and called us again, and told us we should pay another Shs 100,000. We also paid the Shs 100,000 and we thought it is finished. We were outside there waiting for our patient to come out [but] then this man came back again and said we should pay another Shs 80,000,” said Adiru.

Although the operation was later carried out after a 7-hour delay, the child didn’t make it, and relatives attribute the death to negligence. Miria Ahmed, a concerned resident wonders why such incidents have persisted at the facility which is supposed to service the citizens.

“Is the problem the hospital, is it the management or it is the human resource that is the problem in the hospital? A small child like this you demand Shs 210,000 for the operation? Well, if the money was taken and the operation is done, I would say anything bad but this money was taken and the small boy was abandoned in the theatre,” she said. 

When contacted Wamala refused to comment on the allegations. Dr Gilbert Aniku, the acting hospital director says that the hospital will issue an official statement later since consultations about the matter are ongoing.

Arua City resident district commissioner, Alice Akello has condemned the actions of the nurse saying she has ordered his arrest so as to set an example to the rest. The case has been reported to Arua regional referral hospital police post under SD reference No:05/30/05/2022.

Source –

Continue Reading


Mexican president’s Mayan Train dealt new legal setback | Tourism News




Activists say the planned tourist train will harm the wildlife and natural features of the Yucatan Peninsula.

Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has been dealt the latest setback to an ambitious plan to create a tourist train to connect the country’s southern Yucatan Peninsula.

On Monday, a judge indefinitely suspended construction on a portion of the project, known as the Mayan Train, saying the plans currently do not comply “with the proceedings of the environmental impact evaluation”.

The ruling follows a legal challenge by activists who said they were concerned the 60km (37 mile) portion of the train that would connect the resorts of Playa del Carmen and Tulum would adversely affect the area’s wildlife, as well as its caves and water-filled sinkholes known as cenotes.

The original plan for the disputed section was for an overpass over a highway, but the route was modified early this year to go through jungle at ground level.

The federal judge cited the “imminent danger” of causing “irreversible damage” to ecosystems, according to one of the plaintiffs, the non-governmental group Defending the Right to a Healthy Environment. In a statement, the group said that authorities had failed to carry out the necessary environmental impact studies before starting construction of the section.

Lopez Obrador had announced the ambitious project in 2018, with construction beginning in 2020. The roughly 1,500km (930 mile) cargo and passenger rail loop was presented as a cornerstone of a wider plan to develop the poorer states and remote towns throughout the about 181,000sq km (70,000sq mile) Yucatan Peninsula.

The railway is set to connect Caribbean beach resorts with Mayan archaeological ruins, with authorities aiming to complete the project by the end of 2023. The plan is estimated to cost about $16bn.

The project has split communities across the region, with some welcoming the economic development and connectivity it would bring. Others, including some local Indigenous communities, have challenged the project, saying it could not only disrupt the migratory routes of endangered species, including jaguars, tapirs and ocelots, but could also potentially damage centuries-old Mayan archaeological sites.

The National Fund for the Promotion of Tourism, the government agency overseeing the project, has said that it expects to “overcome” the latest challenge and that work should continue after an environmental impact statement is finalised. It said the Environment Ministry was currently reviewing its environmental application for the project.

For his part, Lopez Obrador has insisted the railway will not have a significant environmental effect and has accused activists of being infiltrated by “impostors”.

Source –

Continue Reading