Connect with us

News

Jacob Blake paralysed by shooting, his father says | USA News

Published

on


A Black man shot multiple times, apparently in the back, by police in Wisconsin is paralysed from the waist down and has “eight holes” in his body, the father of victim Jacob Blake said.

A video of the shooting in broad daylight on Sunday in Kenosha, captured on mobile phone camera that quickly spread on social media, ignited new protests over racial injustice in several cities.

It comes three months after the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police set off demonstrations around the United States and touched off a wider reckoning on race.

Blake’s father, also named Jacob Blake, told the Chicago Sun-Times in a story published on Tuesday that he did not know if his 29-year-old son’s paralysis would be permanent. The older man was travelling from North Carolina to be with his son, who is being treated in a Milwaukee hospital.

“I want to put my hand on my son’s cheek and kiss him on his forehead, and then I’ll be OK,” the father told the newspaper. “I’ll kiss him with my mask. The first thing I want to do is touch my son.”

Blake’s father said he learned on Sunday night that officers had shot his son eight times and shortly thereafter he watched the video, which appears to show his son being shot in the back.

Ben Crump, a civil rights lawyer representing the family, said three of Blake’s sons – aged three, five and eight – were in the car at the time of the shooting. Crump scheduled a Tuesday afternoon news conference in Kenosha with Blake’s family members to address the shooting.

The father has not returned multiple messages left by The Associated Press news agency.

He is slated to speak at a March on Washington commemoration on Friday organised by the Reverend Al Sharpton.

His father and the victim’s grandfather, Jacob Blake Sr, was a prominent minister and civil rights leader in the Chicago area who helped organise a march and spoke in support of comprehensive housing law in Evanston, Illinois, days after the 1968 slaying of the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.

The officers were placed on administrative leave, which is standard practice in such cases. Authorities released no details about them and did not immediately respond to requests for their service records.

Since the shooting, anger has spilled into the streets of Kenosha and other cities, including Los Angeles, Wisconsin’s capital of Madison and in Minneapolis, the epicentre of the Black Lives Matter movement this summer following Floyd’s death.

Hundreds of protesters defied an 8pm (00:00GMT) curfew on Monday night, massing in downtown Kenosha. Some set fire to buildings, cars and dumpsters, threw bottles and shot fireworks and then clashed with officers in riot gear, including 125 members of the Wisconsin National Guard, who deployed tear gas as they guarded the courthouse.

US National Guard deployed in Kenosha after police shoot Black man

A city block was cordoned off on Tuesday, so officials could survey the aftermath. Several storefronts were badly damaged. Smoke filled the air and visibility was low as firefighters used water cannon on still smouldering buildings.

Earlier on Monday, when Kenosha Mayor John Antarmian moved a news conference from a park to inside the public safety building, a crowd rushed to the building and a door was snapped off its hinges before police in riot gear pepper-sprayed the crowd.

US Senator Ron Johnson and Representative Bryan Steil, both Republicans, called on Democratic Governor Tony Evers seeking more action to quell the unrest. Steil said he would request federal assistance if necessary.

A Wisconsin state legislator said Evers and Lieutenant Governor Mandela Barnes, who is Black, encouraged violence with their comments after the shooting.

“They did not call for peace. They did not encourage calm,” Republican state Senator Howard Marklein said. “They did encourage people to jump to conclusions and take negative action.”

Police clash with protesters near the Kenosha County Courthouse on Monday, August 24 [/Morry Gash/AP Photo]

Evers’s spokeswoman did not immediately respond to the AP’s request for comment.

Evers was quick to condemn the shooting in Kenosha and on Monday called on the Republican-controlled legislature to take up a package of police reform bills in a special session next week.

But Republicans showed no interest in doing that.

In Madison, about 500 protesters marched to the state Capitol on Monday night, and some broke windows, stole from stores and sprayed graffiti along the way. Police used tear gas and pepper spray on the crowds and six people were arrested, according to Madison police.

In Minneapolis, 11 people were arrested after breaking windows at the county jail on Monday night. One police officer suffered a broken hand in an altercation with demonstrators, the sheriff’s department said.

Police in Kenosha, a city of about 100,000 in between Milwaukee and Chicago, said they were responding to a call about a domestic dispute when they encountered Blake on Sunday.

Controversial footage

The man who said he made the mobile phone video, 22-year-old Raysean White, said he saw Blake scuffling with three officers and heard them yell, “Drop the knife! Drop the knife!” before the gunfire erupted. He said he did not see a knife in Blake’s hands.

In the footage, Blake walks from the sidewalk around the front of his four-wheel drive to his driver-side door as officers follow him with their guns pointed and shout at him.

Police shooting lays bare Wisconsin’s deep partisan divide

As Blake opens the door and leans into the car, an officer grabs his shirt from behind and opens fire while Blake has his back turned. Seven shots can be heard, though it is not clear how many struck Blake or how many officers fired.

Police did not say whether Blake was armed or why police opened fire, they released no details on the domestic dispute, and they did not immediately disclose the race of the three officers at the scene.

The Wisconsin Department of Justice is leading the investigation into the shooting, which is expected to take several weeks.





Source – www.aljazeera.com

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

5th Edition of Y+ Summit Kicks Off

Published

on

By


The 5th edition of the Y+ Summit has on Tuesday, kicked off.

Initiated in 2017, the Y+ Summit is a national assembly bringing together young people living with HIV and key influencers in the HIV response.

The summit is a platform for networking, comparing ideas, perspectives in combating HIV.

This year’s theme is ‘Opening Opportunities for Young People living with HIV.’

“We have about 1.2 million people on Antiretroviral treatment around the country of which half of these are young people living with HIV, 25 years and below,” said Isaac, Lekdyang, the executive director Uganda Network of Young People Living with HIV/AIDS (UNYPA)

“Our message to them is that as much as the pandemic has been a very big problem to the entire world, there are also opportunities to every downside. We would love to open our minds to what opportunities are available to us as YPLHIV and be able to compete in the market place,” he said.

Dr Maggie Kigozi, a business consultant explained that main opportunities exist for YPLHIV.

“We are looking at young people staying healthy, being able to get educated and also able to be employable and start their own businesses.”

She noted that in the past years, there have been gaps like scarcity of drugs, but currently, progress has been made and research on HIV vaccines is on going.

Dr Kigozi further said that young girls, 15-24 years are 4 times more likely to have HIV than boys the same age, due to various factors like Gender Based Violence, sexual abuse, lack of access to education, health services, social protection and information.

Lisa Nelson, country director for Centre for Disease Control noted that children and youth need support systems to help them navigate the transition to adulthood: make the complicated and difficult choices of adolescence and manage and maintain mental, emotional, and physical health, which is crucial to living long, happy and productive lives.

She pledged continued support from the United States government in strengthening Uganda’s health sector.

The post 5th Edition of Y+ Summit Kicks Off first appeared on ChimpReports.



Source – chimpreports.com

Continue Reading

News

Number of people in employment in UK fell unexpectedly in March | Business and Economy News

Published

on

By


The drop in the number of employees on payrolls indicates scarring of the economy after three COVID lockdowns.

The U.K. labor market weakened unexpectedly, with company payrolls falling for the first time in four months and more people dropping out of the workforce.

The number of employees on payrolls fell 56,000 in March, the Office for National Statistics said on Tuesday. The jobless rate fell to 4.9% in the quarter through February because 80,000 people became economically inactive, indicating they stopped looking for work.

The figures indicate scarring to the economy from three successive coronavirus lockdowns that forced most shops, restaurants and entertainment venues to close. Those segments all suffered big declines in payrolled employment despite Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak’s effort to protect jobs with furlough payments, leaving overall employment about 800,000 below where it was before the pandemic struck.

“The bigger story is the continued crisis for young people,” said Tony Wilson, Director of the Institute for Employment Studies. “Youth long-term unemployment has hit a five-year high this morning, while youth employment is still falling even as it starts to rise for every other age group.”

This month’s figures confound recent surveys suggesting that companies restarted hiring in the weeks before lockdown loosened. The ONS said the number of job vacancies jumped 16% in March alone to 650,000, and that may feed through to higher employment in the coming months. Sectors including hospitality, retail and the arts had big increases.

“The jobs market has been broadly stable in recent months after the major shock of last spring,” said Darren Morgan, director of economic statistics at the ONS. “With the prospect of businesses reopening, there was a marked rise in job vacancies in March, especially in sectors such as hospitality.”

Unemployment claims rose 10,100 in March after a revised increase of 67,300 the previous month. Basic earnings growth, which has been inflated by lower-paying jobs dropping out of the labor market, was 4.4% in the quarter through February compared with 4.3% in the previous three-month period.

The Treasury and Bank of England expect a rapid recovery from the worst recession in three centuries starting in the middle of the year when most lockdown rules are set to lapse. Shops and restaurants started opening earlier this month.

Employment fell by 73,000 in the quarter thorough February, less than half the decline of 145,000 that had been anticipated by economists. At the end of February, 4.65 million workers were on furlough, down from a peak of 8.8 million at the start of the pandemic in April 2020.

The OBR expects the jobless rate to peak at 6.5% in the fourth quarter, or about 2.2 million people. That’s less than previously estimated and significantly below the peak of recessions in previous decades.



Source – www.aljazeera.com

Continue Reading

News

‘Uninformed’ CSOs Frustrating EACOP Project Financing – Oil and Gas Expert

Published

on

By


Denis Kakembo, the Managing Partner and leader of Corporate and Tax Practice at Cristal Advocates, has revealed that the continuous uninformed statements uttered by a section of Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) are frustrating the financing of the East African Crude Oil Pipeline (EACOP) project.

Cristal Advocates is a corporate and commercial law firm offering full scale legal services with an emphasis on tax, energy, infrastructure and business support.

On Sunday April 11, the Ugandan government led by President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, his Tanzanian counterpart Samia Suluhu and two oil companies; Total E&P Uganda Limited (TEPU) and China National Offshore Oil Company (CNOOC) signed four different agreements to pave way for the construction of the USD 3.5bn 1,440 kilometer EACOP from Hoima (Uganda) to Tanga Tanzania.

The agreements include; Host Government Agreement, Intergovernmental Agreement, Shareholders’ Agreement, Tariffs and Transport Agreement, Project Framework Agreement and Several Financing Agreements.

TEPU is the majority shareholder in the deal with 72% followed by Uganda with 15%, CNOOC with 8% while Tanzania have 5%. The project is however expected to be funded with borrowing from different banks, which have opted out of the deal.

In a March 18th press release issueed by Inclusive Development International, banks provided statements that they will not support the construction of EACOP, after an open letter endorsed by 263 organizations from around the world was sent to 25 banks considered most likely to be approached for financing.

Speaking to journalists at the sidelines of the ACME media training on oil and gas in Kampala on Monday, Kakembo wondered why CSOs have chosen to “just make noise without reading and understanding what’s on ground.”

“The perception people have towards oil and gas sector is old fashioned. Its true in the past oil companies didn’t behave well and this was in so many countries where they operated and people did not benefit so there is that historical bias which is still being held by people to date,” he said.

Adding: “The oil and gas industry has tremendously transformed over the period of time there is a lot of honor for an international law level perspective to ensure that people benefit and protect the environment and there are a lot of instruments that can be used to achieve this but these instruments can only be used when the CSOs understand and appreciate what they are.”

CSOs, he said, sometimes approach these issues on a perspective of an activist mind, “but not from a mindset of an informed person on what is taking place and yet if they understand fully what is taking place, they can serve their people in terms of articulating their concerns.”

“I would urge CSOs to take time, dig in and take more information which is readily available to boost and build their capacities.”

“Whenever there is an economic activity or project taking place, you would expect that people will be affected but there are other ways of mitigating that like; is the process transparent, are people being compensated, these are not very difficult issues, which can be addressed,” he said.

The said EACOP project is expected to kick off in six months’ time which Kakembo noted will be the final kickoff of each and everything including the declaration of Final Investment Decision (FID) by oil companies.

The post ‘Uninformed’ CSOs Frustrating EACOP Project Financing – Oil and Gas Expert first appeared on ChimpReports.



Source – chimpreports.com

Continue Reading

Trending