Connect with us

News

Trump, Pence speak at RNC in Charlotte after official nomination | US & Canada News

Published

on


The Republican Party has formally nominated United States President Donald Trump for a second term in the White House – one of the first acts of the first day of the Republican National Convention (RNC) that saw both Trump and Vice President Mike Pence speak in person in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Just 336 delegates gathered in a convention centre in the city for a roll call Monday morning to nominate Trump as the party’s candidate to take on Democratic candidate Joe Biden. Earlier in the day, the delegates – who numbered over 2,400 during the 2016 convention – nominated Vice President Mike Pence. 

Is Trump’s message winning? | The Bottom Line

“We fish, we hunt, and we have at least five guns in every home,” said Montana Republican Party Chairman Don Kaltschmidt, who cast 27 votes for Trump as he declared the state temporarily “Trumptana”.

“We love the second amendment and we love Donald Trump,” he said.  

Minutes after the votes passed the threshold that officially cemented Trump as the candidate, the president made a surprise appearance, walking on stage to chants of “four more years, four more years”. 

“If you want to really drive them crazy, say 12 more years,” Trump said, before launching into a speech that continually came back to accusations that Democrats are trying “to steal” the election through increased mail-in voting and other means – accusations that are being called baseless by Trump’s opponents. 

The president hailed November’s vote as the “most important election in our history”, while touting the country’s economic strength before the coronavirus pandemic, which he referred to as the “plague that came from China”. He also derided Biden and prominent Democrats for not visiting Milwaukee, Wisconsin during their convention there last week. 

During his wide-ranging speech, Trump added he felt a “responsibility” to visit North Carolina, accusing the state’s Democratic governor of politically imposing coronavirus restrictions on the convention, which saw the bulk of event plans briefly moved to Jacksonville, Florida – then saw the nomination moved to Charlotte, North Carolina and subsequent events moved to Washington, DC.

“I guarantee on November 4 it’ll all open up,” he said, referring to the day after the election. “You know these Democrat governors – they love to shut down until after the election is over because they want to make our numbers look as bad as possible for the economy. But our numbers are looking so good.”

‘Make America great again, again’

The president’s early appearance set a tone for a convention that will seek to rebut the Democratic National Convention, held almost completely digitally last week in light of the coronavirus pandemic, while energising the party’s base amid a slump in polls. 

The roll call contained some of the usual trappings of a convention, including signs designating each state and gift bags with Republican swag. 

But chairs on the ballroom floor were arranged with lots of space between them and convention organisers told participants to wear masks, though adherence to that rule was uneven.

“We are obviously disappointed we could not hold this event in the same way we had originally planned,” Republican National Committee Chair Ronna McDaniel said as she began the proceedings while thanking Charlotte for allowing the convention to move forward in its truncated form.

Republicans prepare for Trump-heavy hybrid convention

The party also unanimously voted to forgo forging a new 2020 Republican platform during the gathering. A party resolution instead proclaimed: “Resolved: That the Republican Party has and will continue to enthusiastically support the President’s America-first agenda”. 

The roll call and speeches served as a precursor to Monday’s main programming from 8:30pm (00:30 GMT) to 11pm (03:00 GMT), centred around the theme “land of promise”, which is set to feature several prominent Republican legislators, including the party’s only Black senator.

Also set to speak are conservative folk heroes Mark and Patricia McCloskey, a St Louis, Missouri couple who were photographed brandishing guns at Black Lives Matter protesters during a march that passed by their home. 

Other highlighted citizens on the first night are Tanya Weinreis, a Montana coffee shop owner whose business and employee’s livelihoods were saved by the federal coronavirus relief Paycheck Protection Program, and Andrew Pollack, whose daughter Meadow was killed in the 2018 Parkland Florida, school shooting. 

Is Trump planning to dispute election results if Biden wins?

Beginning what will be four days of prominent appearances by Trump family members, Trump’s son, Donald Trump Jr, and his son’s girlfriend and Trump fundraiser, Kimberly Guilfoyle, are also set to speak on Monday.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is scheduled to address the convention with a video message taped in Jerusalem, defying decades of precedent that the nation’s chief diplomat stays out of domestic politics in an election year.

The week will culminate in the president’s acceptance of the party’s nomination on Thursday on the South Lawn of the White House. 

Pence, who spoke shortly before Trump during the roll call, summed up what are expected to be the overarching themes of the next four days. 

“I heard the other day that democracy is on the ballot,” Pence said, referring to Democratic messaging that Trump’s presidency presents an existential threat to the country.

 “I think we all know the economy is on the ballot,” he added. “Law and order is on the ballot. Our most cherished ideals of freedom and free markets are on the ballot.”

“We’re gonna make America great again, again,” Pence said.





Source – www.aljazeera.com

News

Charles Mbire gains $1.2 million as stake in MTN Uganda rises above $51 million

Published

on

Ugandan businessman and MTN Uganda Chairman Charles Mbire has seen the market value of his stake in MTN Uganda surge above $51 million in just two days, as the share price in the leading teleco company increased by a single digit.

The single-digit bump in the share price caused the market value of Mbire’s stake to gain UGX4.42 billion ($1.24 million) in less than two days.

The million-dollar increase in the value of his stake came after Uganda’s largest telecom company delivered the country’s largest-ever IPO through the listing of 22.4 billion ordinary shares on the Uganda Securities Exchange (USE).

Upon completing the largest IPO in Uganda’s history, MTN Uganda raised a record UGX535 billion ($150.4 million) from the applications that it received for a total of 2.9 billion shares, including incentive shares.

As of press time, Dec. 7, shares in the company were trading at UGX204.95 ($0.0574), down six basis points from their opening price this morning.

Data gathered by Billionaires.Africa revealed that since the telecom company registered its shares on the Ugandan bourse on Mon., Dec. 6, its share price has increased by 2.5 percent from UGX200 ($0.056) to UGX204.95 ($0.0574) as of the time of writing, as retail investors sustained buying interest long after the public offering.

The increase in the company’s share price caused the market value of Mbire’s 3.98-percent stake to rise from UGX178.45 billion ($49.96 million) to UGX182.86 billion ($51.2 million).

In less than two days, his stake gained more than UGX4.42 billion ($1.24 million).

In a statement after the successful listing of MTN Uganda’s shares, Mbire said the IPO shows the confidence that Ugandans and other investors have in the company, its brand and strategic intent.

“We commend all the regulators for their support in our work to become a USE-listed company and to comply in a timely manner with the listing provisions of the national telecommunications operators’ license,” he said.

Steady but sure-MBIRE who is the biggest investor on Ugandas Stock exchange with stocks valued at more than $55 million is laughing all the way to the bank after MTN declared the latest dividend payout.He has steadily grown his business empire which is believed to be more that $350 million (debt free).

Steady but sure-MBIRE who is the biggest investor on Ugandas Stock exchange with stocks valued at more than $55 million is laughing all the way to the bank after MTN declared the latest dividend payout.He has steadily grown his business empire which is believed to be more that $350. ( debt free).

He is into communications-revenue assurance-cement-distribution-oil services-real estate-oil exploration and logistics.

Source: Billionaires Africa

Continue Reading

News

2-year-old dies at Arua hospital as nurse demands Shs 210,000 bribe

Published

on

By


A two-year-old child died at Arua Regional Referral hospital after a nurse, Paul Wamala demanded a bribe amounting to Shs 210,000 before carrying out an operation. 

The incident happened on Saturday, after Aron Nabil, a two-year-old child was referred to the hospital for an operation after he was diagnosed with intestinal obstruction, a medical emergency caused by a blockage that keeps food or liquid from passing through the small intestine or large intestine.

According to the relatives of the child, Wamala allegedly asked them to initially give him Shs 30,000 to buy medicines to commence the procedure. He however returned shortly asking for an additional Shs 180,000 from the relatives.

Emily Adiru, a resident of Osu cell, in Bazar Ward, Central Division, and a relative of the child says although they paid money to Wamala, he abandoned the child without carrying out the operation. According to Adiru, Wamala later refunded Shs 200,000 through mobile money, after she threatened to report him to the police.

“They told us this boy needs an operation which was supposed to be done in the morning on Sunday at around 7 am. They took him inside there, some doctor came from the theatre, he called one of us and said, we should pay Shs 70,000 for buying medicine to start the operation. We paid the Shs 30,000 [but] after paying the Shs 30,000, after some minutes, the same man came and opened the door and called us again, and told us we should pay another Shs 100,000. We also paid the Shs 100,000 and we thought it is finished. We were outside there waiting for our patient to come out [but] then this man came back again and said we should pay another Shs 80,000,” said Adiru.

Although the operation was later carried out after a 7-hour delay, the child didn’t make it, and relatives attribute the death to negligence. Miria Ahmed, a concerned resident wonders why such incidents have persisted at the facility which is supposed to service the citizens.

“Is the problem the hospital, is it the management or it is the human resource that is the problem in the hospital? A small child like this you demand Shs 210,000 for the operation? Well, if the money was taken and the operation is done, I would say anything bad but this money was taken and the small boy was abandoned in the theatre,” she said. 

When contacted Wamala refused to comment on the allegations. Dr Gilbert Aniku, the acting hospital director says that the hospital will issue an official statement later since consultations about the matter are ongoing.

Arua City resident district commissioner, Alice Akello has condemned the actions of the nurse saying she has ordered his arrest so as to set an example to the rest. The case has been reported to Arua regional referral hospital police post under SD reference No:05/30/05/2022.



Source – observer.ug

Continue Reading

News

Mexican president’s Mayan Train dealt new legal setback | Tourism News

Published

on

By


Activists say the planned tourist train will harm the wildlife and natural features of the Yucatan Peninsula.

Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has been dealt the latest setback to an ambitious plan to create a tourist train to connect the country’s southern Yucatan Peninsula.

On Monday, a judge indefinitely suspended construction on a portion of the project, known as the Mayan Train, saying the plans currently do not comply “with the proceedings of the environmental impact evaluation”.

The ruling follows a legal challenge by activists who said they were concerned the 60km (37 mile) portion of the train that would connect the resorts of Playa del Carmen and Tulum would adversely affect the area’s wildlife, as well as its caves and water-filled sinkholes known as cenotes.

The original plan for the disputed section was for an overpass over a highway, but the route was modified early this year to go through jungle at ground level.

The federal judge cited the “imminent danger” of causing “irreversible damage” to ecosystems, according to one of the plaintiffs, the non-governmental group Defending the Right to a Healthy Environment. In a statement, the group said that authorities had failed to carry out the necessary environmental impact studies before starting construction of the section.

Lopez Obrador had announced the ambitious project in 2018, with construction beginning in 2020. The roughly 1,500km (930 mile) cargo and passenger rail loop was presented as a cornerstone of a wider plan to develop the poorer states and remote towns throughout the about 181,000sq km (70,000sq mile) Yucatan Peninsula.

The railway is set to connect Caribbean beach resorts with Mayan archaeological ruins, with authorities aiming to complete the project by the end of 2023. The plan is estimated to cost about $16bn.

The project has split communities across the region, with some welcoming the economic development and connectivity it would bring. Others, including some local Indigenous communities, have challenged the project, saying it could not only disrupt the migratory routes of endangered species, including jaguars, tapirs and ocelots, but could also potentially damage centuries-old Mayan archaeological sites.

The National Fund for the Promotion of Tourism, the government agency overseeing the project, has said that it expects to “overcome” the latest challenge and that work should continue after an environmental impact statement is finalised. It said the Environment Ministry was currently reviewing its environmental application for the project.

For his part, Lopez Obrador has insisted the railway will not have a significant environmental effect and has accused activists of being infiltrated by “impostors”.



Source – www.aljazeera.com

Continue Reading

Trending