Connect with us


Court of Appeal upholds Nsenga’s 20-year murder sentence



The Court of Appeal has upheld the 20-year jail term given to Jacqueline Uwera Nsenga for the murder of her late husband, Juvenal Nsenga in a disguised vehicle accident.   

Justices Afonse Owiny-Dollo, Elizabeth Musoke and Cheborion Barishaki upheld the sentence in their verdict delivered this morning. Uwera, was in 2014 found guilty of killing her husband by running over him with a car on January 10, 2013, at their family home in Bugolobi, a Kampala suburb.

The then presiding judge Duncan Gaswaga ruled that based on the evidence presented before court, Nsenga could not have knocked her husband accidentally as claimed. According to the judge, prosecution proved beyond reasonable doubt that the accident which claimed Nsenga’s life was aforethought.

Through her lawyers led by David Mpanga, Nsenga told the Court of Appeal the lower court erred by relying on statements made by the deceased outside court.   

She argued that court shouldn’t have relied on the dying declaration of Nsenga’s husband who uttered “my wife has killed me” to prove that there was intent of murder. He explained to the judges that the statement alone was not enough to cause intent, and Nsenga was convicted unlawfully.       

She also faulted the lower court judge for having erred in law and fact when he failed to properly evaluate the evidence adduced at the trial and apply it to the offence of murder in as far it’s concerned in the Penal Code Act.   

Mpanga thus asked court to quash the sentence and conviction arguing that it was based on circumstantial evidence. However, state prosecutor Elizabeth Namatovu opposed the appeal arguing that the Directorate of Public Prosecutions sole argument is that there was nothing like accidental acceleration when Nsenga was entering her matrimonial home.     

The prosecution also maintained that Nsenga’s killer car was in a good mechanical condition since it’s the same car that was used to take the deceased to seek treatment in the hospital. 

In their judgment read by the Court of Appeal registrar, Mary Babirye, the justices noted that after reading justice Gaswagga’s judgment, they found that he was alive to the law on the burden of standard of proof in criminal cases and as such rightly applied the law to arrive at his decision.  

They also observed that justice Gaswagga took note of several aspects of the defense evidence such as the evidence from the scene of crime, mechanical condition of the car, which knocked the deceased, the bad relationship in their marriage, the evidence of threats uttered against the deceased by the convict and her strange conduct before, during and after committing the crime.

“After reading the judgment of the learned trial judge, we are unable to accept the criticism levelled by the counsel of the appellant that the trial judge shifted the burden of proof on the appellant. We, therefore, find no merit in ground three of the appeal as well”, said the judges.  

They dismissed the appeal, saying that they had re-evaluted the evidence on court record and found that the conviction and sentence of Nsenga to 20 years in jail was proper. Nsenga who stood attentively in the dock in her African wear dress and surgical mask looked on as the registrar read the judgment. 

It is unclear clear whether Nsenga who has returned to Luzira prison is going to proceed to the Supreme court to challenge the decision. Nsenga has so far served 7 years since she was convicted. 


Uwera ran over Nsenga with her Toyota Mark X car on January 10, 2013, at about 9:45 pm when the latter came to open the home gate.

Court heard that the couple were living in separate bedrooms after a bitter quarrel when the deceased fell in love with Uwera’s niece, Loretta Mutoni. Mutoni had been living with the Nsengas until when she was ordered out of the home by Uwera after she became too close to her husband. 

On finding Mutoni back in her marital home, Uwera told her husband “By the way I am capable of doing very many things that I myself am scared of the length I can go.” 

Court was told the Uwera went ahead and executed her threat when she ran over her husband 12 days later after. Uwera told court that she regretted what happened but that it was purely an accident. 

Source –


Charles Mbire gains $1.2 million as stake in MTN Uganda rises above $51 million



Ugandan businessman and MTN Uganda Chairman Charles Mbire has seen the market value of his stake in MTN Uganda surge above $51 million in just two days, as the share price in the leading teleco company increased by a single digit.

The single-digit bump in the share price caused the market value of Mbire’s stake to gain UGX4.42 billion ($1.24 million) in less than two days.

The million-dollar increase in the value of his stake came after Uganda’s largest telecom company delivered the country’s largest-ever IPO through the listing of 22.4 billion ordinary shares on the Uganda Securities Exchange (USE).

Upon completing the largest IPO in Uganda’s history, MTN Uganda raised a record UGX535 billion ($150.4 million) from the applications that it received for a total of 2.9 billion shares, including incentive shares.

As of press time, Dec. 7, shares in the company were trading at UGX204.95 ($0.0574), down six basis points from their opening price this morning.

Data gathered by Billionaires.Africa revealed that since the telecom company registered its shares on the Ugandan bourse on Mon., Dec. 6, its share price has increased by 2.5 percent from UGX200 ($0.056) to UGX204.95 ($0.0574) as of the time of writing, as retail investors sustained buying interest long after the public offering.

The increase in the company’s share price caused the market value of Mbire’s 3.98-percent stake to rise from UGX178.45 billion ($49.96 million) to UGX182.86 billion ($51.2 million).

In less than two days, his stake gained more than UGX4.42 billion ($1.24 million).

In a statement after the successful listing of MTN Uganda’s shares, Mbire said the IPO shows the confidence that Ugandans and other investors have in the company, its brand and strategic intent.

“We commend all the regulators for their support in our work to become a USE-listed company and to comply in a timely manner with the listing provisions of the national telecommunications operators’ license,” he said.

Steady but sure-MBIRE who is the biggest investor on Ugandas Stock exchange with stocks valued at more than $55 million is laughing all the way to the bank after MTN declared the latest dividend payout.He has steadily grown his business empire which is believed to be more that $350 million (debt free).

Steady but sure-MBIRE who is the biggest investor on Ugandas Stock exchange with stocks valued at more than $55 million is laughing all the way to the bank after MTN declared the latest dividend payout.He has steadily grown his business empire which is believed to be more that $350. ( debt free).

He is into communications-revenue assurance-cement-distribution-oil services-real estate-oil exploration and logistics.

Source: Billionaires Africa

Continue Reading


2-year-old dies at Arua hospital as nurse demands Shs 210,000 bribe




A two-year-old child died at Arua Regional Referral hospital after a nurse, Paul Wamala demanded a bribe amounting to Shs 210,000 before carrying out an operation. 

The incident happened on Saturday, after Aron Nabil, a two-year-old child was referred to the hospital for an operation after he was diagnosed with intestinal obstruction, a medical emergency caused by a blockage that keeps food or liquid from passing through the small intestine or large intestine.

According to the relatives of the child, Wamala allegedly asked them to initially give him Shs 30,000 to buy medicines to commence the procedure. He however returned shortly asking for an additional Shs 180,000 from the relatives.

Emily Adiru, a resident of Osu cell, in Bazar Ward, Central Division, and a relative of the child says although they paid money to Wamala, he abandoned the child without carrying out the operation. According to Adiru, Wamala later refunded Shs 200,000 through mobile money, after she threatened to report him to the police.

“They told us this boy needs an operation which was supposed to be done in the morning on Sunday at around 7 am. They took him inside there, some doctor came from the theatre, he called one of us and said, we should pay Shs 70,000 for buying medicine to start the operation. We paid the Shs 30,000 [but] after paying the Shs 30,000, after some minutes, the same man came and opened the door and called us again, and told us we should pay another Shs 100,000. We also paid the Shs 100,000 and we thought it is finished. We were outside there waiting for our patient to come out [but] then this man came back again and said we should pay another Shs 80,000,” said Adiru.

Although the operation was later carried out after a 7-hour delay, the child didn’t make it, and relatives attribute the death to negligence. Miria Ahmed, a concerned resident wonders why such incidents have persisted at the facility which is supposed to service the citizens.

“Is the problem the hospital, is it the management or it is the human resource that is the problem in the hospital? A small child like this you demand Shs 210,000 for the operation? Well, if the money was taken and the operation is done, I would say anything bad but this money was taken and the small boy was abandoned in the theatre,” she said. 

When contacted Wamala refused to comment on the allegations. Dr Gilbert Aniku, the acting hospital director says that the hospital will issue an official statement later since consultations about the matter are ongoing.

Arua City resident district commissioner, Alice Akello has condemned the actions of the nurse saying she has ordered his arrest so as to set an example to the rest. The case has been reported to Arua regional referral hospital police post under SD reference No:05/30/05/2022.

Source –

Continue Reading


Mexican president’s Mayan Train dealt new legal setback | Tourism News




Activists say the planned tourist train will harm the wildlife and natural features of the Yucatan Peninsula.

Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has been dealt the latest setback to an ambitious plan to create a tourist train to connect the country’s southern Yucatan Peninsula.

On Monday, a judge indefinitely suspended construction on a portion of the project, known as the Mayan Train, saying the plans currently do not comply “with the proceedings of the environmental impact evaluation”.

The ruling follows a legal challenge by activists who said they were concerned the 60km (37 mile) portion of the train that would connect the resorts of Playa del Carmen and Tulum would adversely affect the area’s wildlife, as well as its caves and water-filled sinkholes known as cenotes.

The original plan for the disputed section was for an overpass over a highway, but the route was modified early this year to go through jungle at ground level.

The federal judge cited the “imminent danger” of causing “irreversible damage” to ecosystems, according to one of the plaintiffs, the non-governmental group Defending the Right to a Healthy Environment. In a statement, the group said that authorities had failed to carry out the necessary environmental impact studies before starting construction of the section.

Lopez Obrador had announced the ambitious project in 2018, with construction beginning in 2020. The roughly 1,500km (930 mile) cargo and passenger rail loop was presented as a cornerstone of a wider plan to develop the poorer states and remote towns throughout the about 181,000sq km (70,000sq mile) Yucatan Peninsula.

The railway is set to connect Caribbean beach resorts with Mayan archaeological ruins, with authorities aiming to complete the project by the end of 2023. The plan is estimated to cost about $16bn.

The project has split communities across the region, with some welcoming the economic development and connectivity it would bring. Others, including some local Indigenous communities, have challenged the project, saying it could not only disrupt the migratory routes of endangered species, including jaguars, tapirs and ocelots, but could also potentially damage centuries-old Mayan archaeological sites.

The National Fund for the Promotion of Tourism, the government agency overseeing the project, has said that it expects to “overcome” the latest challenge and that work should continue after an environmental impact statement is finalised. It said the Environment Ministry was currently reviewing its environmental application for the project.

For his part, Lopez Obrador has insisted the railway will not have a significant environmental effect and has accused activists of being infiltrated by “impostors”.

Source –

Continue Reading