Connect with us

News

Twin Caribbean storms kill seven as they head towards US coast | Dominican Republic News

Published

on


Marco, a storm travelling over the Gulf of Mexico has become a hurricane, while Tropical Storm Laura, which is on course to cross over the same body of water, has been deemed a potential hurricane threat. 

On Sunday, Marco was upgraded as it cut a path towards the coast of Louisiana, which is was expected to hit on Monday. Laura, meanwhile, killed seven people at it passed over the Dominican Republic and Haiti. 

Laura was on course to pass over Cuba before also hitting the Gulf Coast of the United States on Thursday. 

In Port-au-Prince, Haiti, videos on social media showed people wading waist-deep in muddy water in some of the worst flooding the capital has seen in years. Haiti is especially vulnerable to intense rains due to weak infrastructure and deforestation which increases the likelihood of landslides. 

Authorities called on residents along the Artibonite River to evacuate due to risks the Peligre Hydroelectric Dam might burst.

Haiti was also the first country to report a death – a 10-year-old girl who was killed when a tree fell on her home in the southern town of Anse-a-Pitres – from Tropical Storm Laura.

Meanwhile, in the Dominican Republic, at least three of the reported deaths were the result of walls collapsing, authorities said. 

The storm left more than a million people in the Dominican Republic without electricity, forced more than a thousand to evacuate and caused several homes along the Isabela River to collapse, authorities said.

If Laura becomes a hurricane, it will be the first time recorded since at least 1900 that two hurricanes have formed in the Gulf of Mexico at the same time, according to Colorado State University hurricane researcher Phil Klotzbach. 

US prepares

Officials in the Florida Keys, which Laura might pass over on its route into the Gulf, declared a local state of emergency on Sunday and issued a mandatory evacuation order for anyone living on boats, in mobile homes and in campers. Tourists staying in hotels were warned to be aware of hazardous weather conditions and consider changing their plans starting from Sunday.

Meanwhile, the Federal Emergency Management Agency sent teams to emergency operations centres in state capitals in Louisiana and Texas, according to spokesman Earl Armstrong. The agency is prepared to handle back-to-back storms, he said, pointing to 2004 when four hurricanes took aim at Florida in six weeks. 

Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards, who declared a state of emergency on Friday, also asked President Donald Trump for a federal emergency declaration as people in the state headed to stores to stock up on food, water and other supplies.

Storm surge warnings stretched from Morgan City, Louisiana to Ocean Springs, Mississippi, and hurricane warnings were issued from Morgan City to the mouth of the Pearl River 

On Sunday, officials in Louisiana’s coastal Lafourche Parish ordered a mandatory evacuation for residents of low-lying areas.  The US Coast Guard also raised its warning for the Port of New Orleans, calling for ships to make plans to evacuate some areas.

The potential for flooding and evacuations has further added to worries about the spread of COVID-19. 

Tulane University, the largest private employer in New Orleans, said it will close its testing centre on Monday due to potential flooding and power outages, and called on students to maintain social distancing guidelines.





Source – www.aljazeera.com

News

Muntu Blocked in Kamwenge

Published

on

Alliance for National Transformation presidential candidate Gen. Mugisha Muntu has been blocked from campaigning in Kamwenge according to a statement he released earlier today.Below is the full statement:

STATEMENT
Today in Kamwenge, as we have done since the start of the campaign season, we headed out to speak with the people. We had earlier in the week agreed on the venue with security agencies. No one had anticipated that it would rain as much as it did, making it impossible for us or the people to access.

After identifying an alternative place only 100m away from the original venue, negotiating with the owner and communicating the same to the public, we headed to the second venue only to be stopped by police.

Our policy has always been to do all we can to be reasonable, even in the face of unreasonable action on the part of the state. We engaged the police leadership in a civilized, respectable manner well knowing that they intended to not only frustrate us, but cause us to act in ways that would give them an excuse to cause chaos. This was on top of their intimidating the radio we had booked and duly paid to appear on.

While we are confident that we are on the right side of both the law and reason, we have chosen not to endanger the lives of our supporters or the general public by escalating the situation. We will do everything humanly possible to avoid a single life being lost or blood being shed on account of our campaign.

And yet this truth remains: the regime’s days are numbered.

ChangeYouCanTrust

CountryBeforeSelf

Continue Reading

News

Is Johnson Byabashaija courting Enid Kukunda for protection?

Published

on

The very amiable Commissioner General of Prisons Canon Johnson Byabashaija was recently sighted with President Y K Tibuhaburwa Museveni’s second wife Enid Kukunda as the two had a very secretive meeting in one of the city hangouts.

According to our informers, the two seem to be in a deep conversation that they wouldn’t allow a housefly pass around. However, sources further reveal that Byabashaija could have courted the second lady for protection given that he has amassed a lot of wealth and could be a subject of investigations.

Our sources reveal that Byabashaija who carries himself as Mr.I know it all hasn’t met Madam Enid alone but a host of others with connections to the centre of power in the country.

We will bring you more detail

Continue Reading

News

Bobi Wine released on Bail

Published

on

Presidential candidate and kyadondo East legislator Hon. Robert Kyagulanyi Sentamu has been realeased on bail by the Iganga magistrates court where he appeared to defend himself against accusations of flouting COVID-19 campaign SOPs. A defiant Kyagulanyi took the opportunity to blast the incumbent Yoweri Museveni, whom he accuses of using state power to quell dissident.

This follows a tense week that has seen thousands injured and several dead following Hon. Kyagulanyi’s arrest earlier this week. Demonstrations and riots erupted in many parts of the country and heavy police and army deployment was seen all over the country.

Continue Reading

Trending