Connect with us

News

Exclusive: Man who Donned Military Uniform at NUP Offices is a UPDF Veteran

Published

on


The man who appeared at the opposition National Unity Platform (NUP) headquarters in Kamwokya, Kampala donning a military camouflage is a UPDF veteran, officials said Wednesday morning.

“He is Private Justus B Turyatunga,” said a reliable source who spoke to us on condition of anonymity as he is not authorised to address the media.

“Turyatunga previously served in 105 Battalion, C Coy (company),” the source emphasised.

He also served in Somalia under Battle Group 31.

Turyatunga, who was clad in a full military uniform, was photographed seated with the new members of the party who joined on Tuesday, 18 August.

“A picture of an unidentified individual in UPDF dress, with unclear name tag and covered shoulder lapels and with a people power beret and mask was posted on social media to cheaply and desperately portray some members of the force as partisan,” said UPDF spokesperson Brig Flavia Byekwaso in a statement.

“The UPDF takes strong exception to this criminal scheme and already investigations are underway to establish the identity and apprehend the culprit who is not a member of the UPDF,” she added.

ChimpReports has learned that the intelligence organs are combing the city for Turyatunga who is said to be in hiding.

The UPDF ACT 2005 criminalizes “scandalous conduct by officers”.

It provides that an officer who behaves in a scandalous manner unbecoming of an officer, commits an offence and is, on conviction, liable to suffer dismissal from the Defence Forces with or without disgrace.

“Scandalous conduct” means the personal conduct of an officer which is generally against public order, expectations and morality, whether or not the conduct directly or indirectly affects others.

If charged and convicted, Turyatunga may lose his pension and other benefits.



Source – chimpreports.com

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Kasese COVID-19 task force restricts burials to mid-day

Published

on

By


Kasese district task force has restricted all burials to mid-day to limit human interaction

Kasese district task force has restricted all burials to mid-day to limit human interaction

Kasese district COVID-19 task force has directed that all burial ceremonies in the district take place before mid-day to minimise human interaction.  

The order follows an upsurge of coronavirus disease cases in the district as the country continues to battle the second wave of the pandemic. Kasese district has recorded more than 160 positive COVID-19 cases and 4 deaths since the second wave began last month. 

Last week alone, the district registered 72 cases with five referrals. Joshua Masereka, the Kasese deputy resident district commissioner, says to limit the infections, they are trying to limit the time people spend on burials as a measure of enforcing the standard operating procedures (SOPs). 

He says that longer burial ceremonies often attract high numbers of people, allow a lot of time for interaction and violation of other procedures like social distancing. Masereka says that the burial time restriction applies to COVID-19 victims and other deaths. 

Gregory Kombi, the Bwera sub-county chairperson LC III has welcomed the directive, noting that people have deliberately failed to comply with the burial guidelines issued by the president.   

Jackeline Masika, a resident of Kasese questioned the relevancy of the directive by the task force if the numbers of mourners have already been restricted to 20 people. He says close relatives from far distant places are already barred from travelling to send off their loved ones and hence it makes no sense to define the burial times. 



Source – observer.ug

Continue Reading

News

Wildfires burn across US West threatening Flagstaff, Arizona | Climate News

Published

on

By


Dozens of wildfires were burning in hot, dry conditions across the western United States, including a blaze touched off by lightning that was moving towards northern Arizona’s largest city.

The mountainous city of Flagstaff was shrouded in smoke Monday. The national forest surrounding it announced a full closure set to begin later this week — the first time that has happened since 2006.

Intense heat that has hampered firefighting efforts more broadly was expected to moderate in the coming days. But, the National Weather Service noted it could bring uncertainty for fire crews.

“The humidity and the possibility of some scattered rainfall is a good thing,” said meteorologist Andrew Taylor. “The lightning is not a good thing.”

In California, firefighters still faced the difficult task of trying to contain a large forest fire in rugged coastal mountains south of Big Sur that forced the evacuation of a Buddhist monastery and nearby campground.

In Globe, Arizona, US, in early June, firefighters in Arizona were fighting to gain a foothold into an enormous wildfire, one of two that forced thousands of evacuations in rural towns and closed almost every major highway out of the area [File: Joseph Pacheco via AP]

In New Mexico, lightning-sparked blazes have been scorching the southern part of the state where a large portion of the Gila Wilderness remains closed, and fire officials are closely watching the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument.

More land has burned across Arizona so far to date with new wildfire starts quickly shifting resources. While humans are to blame for an overwhelming majority of wildfires, lightning started a 80sq-km (31sq-mile) blaze west of Sedona that was moving towards Flagstaff, called “the Rafael Fire”.

A top-tier management team had been ordered to oversee the blaze that is burning in grass, juniper, chaparral and ponderosa pine.

Some campers already evacuated, and residents of rural areas have been told to prepare to evacuate on a moment’s notice, said Coconino County sheriff’s spokesman Jon Paxton.

If the fire continues its northeastern push, hundreds of people in Flagstaff — a college city about two hours north of Phoenix — also could be affected, Paxton said.

Fire officials were mapping out a plan to starve the Rafael Fire of fuel as it moves through rugged terrain, canyons and wilderness, said fire information officer Dolores Garcia. As of Monday, it was moving parallel to Interstate 40 along the Coconino and Yavapai county lines.

The 7,283sq-km (2,812sq-mile) Coconino National Forest, a popular area for camping, hiking, boating and fishing, is shutting down Wednesday because of concerns it will not have enough resources to respond to any future wildfires.

The forest has only partially closed in recent years because of wildfire danger.

“We have limited resources, and we’re tapped right now,” said forest spokesman Brady Smith.

Arizona is at the highest level of preparedness for wildfires. A large wildfire burning near Superior, about 97km (60 miles) west of Phoenix, was nearly 70 percent contained Monday. The 730sq-km (282sq-mile) blaze was human-caused.

Residents near the small communities of Pine and Strawberry remain evacuated because of another wildfire that has hopped among treetops, with flames jumping ahead carried by wind. Some local roads also were closed.

Firefighting crews have yet to contain any of the wildfire’s perimeter. The lightning-sparked blaze was estimated at 132sq km (51sq miles) Monday and is being managed by a top-tier team.

In Utah, several wildfires were burning in bone-dry conditions. The largest near the small town of Enterprise in southern Utah forced evacuations during the weekend. But homeowners were allowed to return as containment reached 50 percent.





Source – www.aljazeera.com

Continue Reading

News

Ethiopia Election 2021: Voters cast ballots in a twice delayed election

Published

on

By


What has been heralded as a true test of democracy in Ethiopia, the twice postponed elections finally took place in the shadow of a pandemic, internal struggles in the country’s northern state of Tigray and boycotting by some of the country’s biggest opposition parties.

This poll is Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed’s first electoral test since coming to power in 2018.



Source – www.bbc.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending