Connect with us

News

Saudi King Salman leaves hospital after gall bladder surgery | News

Published

on


Saudi Arabia’s King Salman has left hospital after a 10-day stay where the 84-year-old underwent surgery to remove his gall bladder.

A video released late on Thursday by state media showed the king walking steadily out of King Faisal hospital in the capital, Riyadh, followed by several aides and his son, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), wearing a face mask.

The king was walking with a cane, as he usually does.

On Friday, as Muslims began marking the first day of Eid al-Adha, or the festival of sacrifice, one of the two most important occasions of the Islamic calendar, the king tweeted his greetings.

King Salman leaving hospital [Video screengrab/Reuters]

“I congratulate everyone on the occasion of Eid al-Adha,” King Salman, the custodian of Islam’s holiest sites, wrote.

“I ask God almighty …. to lift the pandemic from our country and the world with his grace and mercy,” he added, referring to the global outbreak of the new coronavirus.

King Salman was admitted to hospital on July 20 suffering from inflammation of the gall bladder, according to state media.

Last week, he chaired a meeting via video from the hospital before his surgery. A video aired by state media at the time showed him reading and going through documents.

There has been much speculation about the health of King Salman, who has ruled oil-rich Saudi Arabia since 2015.

In 2017, he ceded most of his power to MBS, who is next in line to the throne.

MBS has won praise at home for easing social restrictions in the conservative Muslim kingdom and pledging to diversify the economy.

But he has also drawn criticism for Saudi Arabia’s involvement in Yemen’s long-running war and attempts to silence dissent and consolidate power by marginalising rivals, including a purge of top royals and businessmen on corruption charges.

He has come under intense international criticism over the 2018 murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the kingdom’s Istanbul consulate, which the CIA has reportedly said took place on the Prince Mohammed’s orders.

MBS has denied ordering Khashoggi’s killing but said he ultimately bears “full responsibility” as the kingdom’s de facto leader.

Seventh session of the Shoura Council's Second year

In 2017, King Salman ceded most of his power to his son, Crown Prince Mohammed [File: Bandar al-Galoud/Saudi Kingdom Council]

SOURCE:
Al Jazeera and news agencies



Source – www.aljazeera.com

News

Muntu Blocked in Kamwenge

Published

on

Alliance for National Transformation presidential candidate Gen. Mugisha Muntu has been blocked from campaigning in Kamwenge according to a statement he released earlier today.Below is the full statement:

STATEMENT
Today in Kamwenge, as we have done since the start of the campaign season, we headed out to speak with the people. We had earlier in the week agreed on the venue with security agencies. No one had anticipated that it would rain as much as it did, making it impossible for us or the people to access.

After identifying an alternative place only 100m away from the original venue, negotiating with the owner and communicating the same to the public, we headed to the second venue only to be stopped by police.

Our policy has always been to do all we can to be reasonable, even in the face of unreasonable action on the part of the state. We engaged the police leadership in a civilized, respectable manner well knowing that they intended to not only frustrate us, but cause us to act in ways that would give them an excuse to cause chaos. This was on top of their intimidating the radio we had booked and duly paid to appear on.

While we are confident that we are on the right side of both the law and reason, we have chosen not to endanger the lives of our supporters or the general public by escalating the situation. We will do everything humanly possible to avoid a single life being lost or blood being shed on account of our campaign.

And yet this truth remains: the regime’s days are numbered.

ChangeYouCanTrust

CountryBeforeSelf

Continue Reading

News

Is Johnson Byabashaija courting Enid Kukunda for protection?

Published

on

The very amiable Commissioner General of Prisons Canon Johnson Byabashaija was recently sighted with President Y K Tibuhaburwa Museveni’s second wife Enid Kukunda as the two had a very secretive meeting in one of the city hangouts.

According to our informers, the two seem to be in a deep conversation that they wouldn’t allow a housefly pass around. However, sources further reveal that Byabashaija could have courted the second lady for protection given that he has amassed a lot of wealth and could be a subject of investigations.

Our sources reveal that Byabashaija who carries himself as Mr.I know it all hasn’t met Madam Enid alone but a host of others with connections to the centre of power in the country.

We will bring you more detail

Continue Reading

News

Bobi Wine released on Bail

Published

on

Presidential candidate and kyadondo East legislator Hon. Robert Kyagulanyi Sentamu has been realeased on bail by the Iganga magistrates court where he appeared to defend himself against accusations of flouting COVID-19 campaign SOPs. A defiant Kyagulanyi took the opportunity to blast the incumbent Yoweri Museveni, whom he accuses of using state power to quell dissident.

This follows a tense week that has seen thousands injured and several dead following Hon. Kyagulanyi’s arrest earlier this week. Demonstrations and riots erupted in many parts of the country and heavy police and army deployment was seen all over the country.

Continue Reading

Trending