Connect with us

News

Pentagon to Transfer U.S. Africa Command Headquarters from Germany

Published

on


The United States Defense Department has announced plans to move the U.S Africa Command headquarters from Germany to a yet to be decided location.

The US Secretary of Defense, Mark Esper publicly announced plans to make U.S. force adjustments within the European area of operations during a press briefing in Washington D.C. on July 29, 2020 saying it is part of the U.S. European Command Review.

“The change in force posture is designed to support the National Defense and Security strategies, adapt to changing global strategic environment, and best address global priorities,” he said.

It is reportedly in response to the President Donald Trump’s direction and efforts are already underway to develop plans and options to relocate U.S. Africa Command headquarters and forces from Germany.

It is not likely that the new location will be in Africa though Europe is no longer a priority and US is among the new options.

“U.S. Africa Command has been told to plan to move. While it will likely take several months to develop options, consider locations, and come to a decision, the command has started the process. We will ensure we continue to support our host nation and African partners and our families and forces throughout,” said U.S. Army Gen. Stephen Townsend, commander, U.S. Africa Command.

The command established in October 2007 is meant to protect and advance U.S interests in Africa and develop capable, professional partner nation military forces there and has been headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany since its inception.

“It is important that our African partners understand our commitment to them remains strong. U.S. Africa Command will continue to work with our African and other partners to address mutual interests,” added Townsend.

He said that continued cooperation with German partners remains critical to solving complex international challenges.

“We are very grateful to Germany for their partnership and serving as host to Headquarters U.S. Africa Command. International cooperation remains important to addressing mutual security challenges, especially in Africa,” said Townsend.

The move signifies a possible silent diplomatic impasse between Washington and Berlin.

In January this year, AFRICOM dispatched generals to Kenya following a daring January 5 Al-Shabaab attack on Manda Bay, a US facility, that killed one marine soldier and two defense contractors.  [https://chimpreports.com/us-dispatches-generals-to-kenya-to-assess-al-shabaab-attack/]

A week and few days after the Manda Bay attack, AFRICOM launched targeted airstrike killing two Al-Shabaab terrorists in Qunya Barrow, in the lower Shabelle region of Somalia.



Source – chimpreports.com

News

Muntu Blocked in Kamwenge

Published

on

Alliance for National Transformation presidential candidate Gen. Mugisha Muntu has been blocked from campaigning in Kamwenge according to a statement he released earlier today.Below is the full statement:

STATEMENT
Today in Kamwenge, as we have done since the start of the campaign season, we headed out to speak with the people. We had earlier in the week agreed on the venue with security agencies. No one had anticipated that it would rain as much as it did, making it impossible for us or the people to access.

After identifying an alternative place only 100m away from the original venue, negotiating with the owner and communicating the same to the public, we headed to the second venue only to be stopped by police.

Our policy has always been to do all we can to be reasonable, even in the face of unreasonable action on the part of the state. We engaged the police leadership in a civilized, respectable manner well knowing that they intended to not only frustrate us, but cause us to act in ways that would give them an excuse to cause chaos. This was on top of their intimidating the radio we had booked and duly paid to appear on.

While we are confident that we are on the right side of both the law and reason, we have chosen not to endanger the lives of our supporters or the general public by escalating the situation. We will do everything humanly possible to avoid a single life being lost or blood being shed on account of our campaign.

And yet this truth remains: the regime’s days are numbered.

ChangeYouCanTrust

CountryBeforeSelf

Continue Reading

News

Is Johnson Byabashaija courting Enid Kukunda for protection?

Published

on

The very amiable Commissioner General of Prisons Canon Johnson Byabashaija was recently sighted with President Y K Tibuhaburwa Museveni’s second wife Enid Kukunda as the two had a very secretive meeting in one of the city hangouts.

According to our informers, the two seem to be in a deep conversation that they wouldn’t allow a housefly pass around. However, sources further reveal that Byabashaija could have courted the second lady for protection given that he has amassed a lot of wealth and could be a subject of investigations.

Our sources reveal that Byabashaija who carries himself as Mr.I know it all hasn’t met Madam Enid alone but a host of others with connections to the centre of power in the country.

We will bring you more detail

Continue Reading

News

Bobi Wine released on Bail

Published

on

Presidential candidate and kyadondo East legislator Hon. Robert Kyagulanyi Sentamu has been realeased on bail by the Iganga magistrates court where he appeared to defend himself against accusations of flouting COVID-19 campaign SOPs. A defiant Kyagulanyi took the opportunity to blast the incumbent Yoweri Museveni, whom he accuses of using state power to quell dissident.

This follows a tense week that has seen thousands injured and several dead following Hon. Kyagulanyi’s arrest earlier this week. Demonstrations and riots erupted in many parts of the country and heavy police and army deployment was seen all over the country.

Continue Reading

Trending