Connect with us

News

Women must be Well Equipped to Massively Participate in Active Politics – UN Women Representative

Published

on


Angelica Adekemi, the United Nations (UN) Women, Uganda Deputy Country Representative has revealed that women in Uganda need more training on understanding their values and roles in the development of the country to enable them join and actively participate in politics which is currently dominated by men in Uganda.

Adekemi said that women need to be well equipped to understand what their role is and how to play that role in contributing to development.

“Women must understand what it entails to face the odds out there on the political terrain. This is more challenging because of access to resources,” she said.

Adekemi made these remarks while participating in the two days National E-Conference for Women Candidates which was organized by UN Women and televised live on NBS TV on Tuesday and Wednesday this week.

The conference was themed “Advancing women participation in politics and aiming at devising means on how gender imbalances can be solved in Ugandan politics”.

“Focusing more on women means that they have been left behind in the development process. Our role as UN Women is to help equip them with skills so that they are not left behind,” she explained.

She said that once women understand their roles in the society, it shall wake them up to contest for bigger positions in politics.

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, the former President of Liberia who was one of the panelists encouraged women to contest in different leadership positions even when the COVID-19 pandemic is pausing a great threat and another limitation more especially to them.

“How do you get your message out? This all seems discouraging, but I want to let you know that these obstacles can be defeated. You can rise to get your dreams,” she said.

Commenting on the scientific elections, Sirleaf said, “we are social people; we need to interact with those who seek to lead us. How does one become known if gatherings are limited to small numbers?”

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, former Liberian President.

“I only wish that I could be in the same room feeling the same energy and hopes of those who have decided to run for seats next year or still considering the possibility,” she added.

Sirleaf said that women face a couple of challenges due to lack of resources which results into; resistance from their partners, sexual exploitation, and perhaps, the lack of support from other women.

“Society mindset has continued to exclude women from participation in politics because the society believes that they cannot contribute to it,” she explained.

She advised women who intend to join politics, to have a clear communication strategy, and well-organized resource base to avoid exploitation.

“You have to think strategically starting with the lifetime you share with your family before you begin convincing the masses. Understand your eligible voters, registered voters and the voter turn up,” she cautioned.



Source – chimpreports.com

News

FDC activists win Bank of Uganda pig case by simply keeping quiet

Published

on

By


FDC activists Augustine Ojobile and Robert Mayanja

Buganda Road Magistrate’s court has acquitted two opposition Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) activists Augustine Ojobile and Robert Mayanja of common nuisance charges.

FDC deputy chief administrative officer Ojobile and Mayanja have been acquitted by the grade one magistrate Fidelis Otwao on charges stemming from their protest held in November 2018 when they carried pig heads to the central police station (CPS) in Kampala protesting the rot in the Bank of Uganda that had reportedly resulted into the closure of a number of commercial banks in the country for many years.


According to them, corruption at the Central bank had been the sole ingredient for the closure of commercial banks in Uganda over the years because it reportedly mismanaged them and made erroneous decisions that led to their closure.

With fresh pig heads tied around their necks and stinking blood oozing across their white T-shirts, Mayanja and Ojobile walked through the streets of Kampala to the police in a protest that was spearheaded by their pressure group known as the Jobless Youth.

One pig head had a placard bearing the name of the former and late BOU governor Emmanuel Tumusiime Mutebile and the other of his former deputy Louis Kasekende.

The protest at CPS came a few days after another that was staged at the Central bank where two piglets were dumped bearing the name of Juma Kisaame (a Muslim), the former managing director of DFCU bank. 

As a result, the duo was arrested and taken to Buganda Road court on charges of common nuisance and the prosecution adduced evidence from five witnesses who included police officers and Muslims who were reportedly angered by the protest.

According to the witnesses, the actions of Mayanja and Ojobile were annoying to the people whose names were mentioned and tagged on pig heads, and the smell that was coming out of the fresh pig heads was most likely to result in injury to a considerable number of the public by affecting their health, and the protest affected businesses since some shops allegedly had to close to see what was happening outside due to their commotion.

But when Mayanja and Ojobile were asked to defend themselves over the allegations, the duo that didn’t have legal representation chose to keep quiet as their defense and let the court make its decision based on what the prosecution witnesses had testified to.

In a judgement read today Friday by Otwao, he indicated that the evidence from the prosecution witnesses is wanting because none of the people alleged to have been annoyed by the actions of the activists testified in the case or recorded a statement with police.

According to Otwao, the testimonies were based on what the witnesses were feeling as individuals and that there were no abusive statements on the pig heads that the prosecution had indicated which would cause annoyance, save for putting the names of people only. 

As such, the court has ruled that such testimonies cannot be relied on to convict a person because the prosecution has failed to prove that there was common injury, danger to the public or destruction of property.

Consequently, the magistrate has acquitted the duo and directed that each of them starts the process to seek a refund of the Shs 500,000 that each had paid to be released on bail.

The activists have welcomed the ruling saying that the court has recognized that the citizens have a right to protest peacefully.

The pig protests have been commonly used by activists who subscribe to this group known as the Jobless Brotherhood which has since rebranded to the “Alternative”.

In 2016, their members including Luta Ferdinand who is now facing trial in the court-martial on different charges, and Joseph Lukwago were arrested for dumping piglets at parliament protesting the Shs 200 million given to each MP for buying personal cars.



Source – observer.ug

Continue Reading

News

Saudi Arabia executes 81 people in a single day | Death Penalty News

Published

on

By


The death penalty applied for a range of charges in the largest known mass execution carried out in the kingdom’s modern history.

Saudi Arabia has executed 81 men over the past 24 hours, including seven Yemenis and one Syrian national, on charges including “allegiance to foreign terrorist organisations” and holding “deviant beliefs”, state news agency Saudi Press Agency said, in the largest known mass execution carried out in the kingdom in its modern history.

The number dwarfed the 67 executions reported in the kingdom in 2021 and the 27 in 2020.

“These individuals … were convicted of various crimes including murdering innocent men, women and children,” SPA said on Saturday, citing a statement from the interior ministry.

“Crimes committed by these individuals also include pledging allegiance to foreign terrorist organisations, such as ISIS [ISIL], al-Qaeda and the Houthis,” it added.

Some travelled to conflict zones to join “terrorist organisations”, according to the SPA.

“The accused were provided with the right to an attorney and were guaranteed their full rights under Saudi law during the judicial process,” it said.

“The kingdom will continue to take a strict and unwavering stance against terrorism and extremist ideologies that threaten the stability of the entire world,” the report added.

The men included 37 Saudi nationals who were found guilty in a single case for attempting to assassinate security officers and targeting police stations and convoys, the report added.

Saudi Arabia’s last mass execution was in January 2016, when the kingdom executed 47 people, including a prominent opposition Shia leader who had rallied demonstrations in the kingdom.

In 2019, the kingdom beheaded 37 Saudi citizens, most of them minority Shia, in a mass execution across the country for alleged “terrorism”-related crimes.

Saudi Arabia’s human rights records have been under increasing scrutiny from rights groups and Western allies since the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in 2018.

It has faced strong criticism of its restrictive laws on political and religious expression, and the implementation of the death penalty, including for defendants arrested when they were minors.

Saudi Arabia denies accusations of human rights abuses and says it protects its national security according to its laws.

SPA said the accused were provided with the right to a lawyer and were guaranteed their full rights under Saudi law during the judicial process.



Source – www.aljazeera.com

Continue Reading

News

Nigerian student in Ukraine: 'Mummy we keep hearing bombs'

Published

on

By



Hauwa’s son Suleiman is a Nigerian student in Sumy – she says the family are fearful and anxious.



Source – www.bbc.co.uk

Continue Reading

Trending