Connect with us

Politics

Opposition parties want share of LoP budget

Published

on


Leader of Opposition in Parliament, Betty Aol Ocan has asked Education Minister to resign.

Opposition members on the Inter-Party Organisation for Dialogue (IPOD) want the budget allocated to the Office of the Leader of the Opposition (LoP) in Parliament distributed among all opposition parties in the House.

In a meeting with the Speaker of Parliament, Rebecca Kadaga, the IPOD delegation requested her to cause the sharing of the opposition budget.

The IPOD Council Chairman, Dr Gerald Blacks Siranda, proposed that 40 per cent of LoP’s budget should be shared on an equal basis among all parties represented in the House and 60 percent quota divided on the basis of numerical strength.

“The funding allocated to the Office of the Leader of the Opposition be structured out to all parties represented in the House; instead of all the money being allocated to the LOP, 40 per cent should be shared on equal basis and 60 per cent on individual merit,” said Siranda who leads the platform that has the National Resistance Movement (NRM) as a member.

The Speaker used the opportunity to criticise the Shs3 million charged as fees for nomination of Ugandans aspiring to become Members of Parliament.

This, said Kadaga, is exorbitant and unacceptable, a position she announced earlier this year during the Commonwealth Youth Inclusion Conference hosted by the Parliament of Uganda.

“I still think the Shs3 million was exorbitant because it used to be about Shs 400,000 and it was hiked to Shs 3 million; this is prohibitive…I am not saying I cannot afford it, but it will stop the young people and others who cannot afford it,” said Kadaga.

In the run-up to the 2016 general elections, Parliament voted to hike the nomination fees, despite a call for caution by Speaker Kadaga.

It received rebuke from Parliamentary candidates across the political divide, who slammed it as a ploy by then incumbent MPs to ring fence the seats for themselves.

Kadaga said since Prime Minister Ruhakana Rugunda, also Leader of Government Business in Parliament, is a Member, he (Prime Minister) should hasten the move to present a Bill to reform the electoral system and include all the IPOD ideas for the Legislature’s consideration.

The Speaker has on several occasions asked government to present the electoral reforms right in time for Parliament’s consideration, but the calls are yet to attract government’s consideration.

IPOD has had a rocky journey, with main opposition Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) recently terming it a collusion between the ruling National Resistance Movement Party and ‘fringe’ political parties to get back at FDC.

The FDC Party spokesman, Ibrahim Semujju recently took to local media to dismiss the IPOD as inconsequential.

FDC’s sibling rivalry with the Democratic Party (DP) could escalate if Dr Siranda’s proposal is considered.


Post Views:
6,399



Source – eagle.co.ug

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Mbale: Wanyoto Files 123 Affidavits Petitioning Court to Nullify Galiwango’s Victory

Published

on

By


Lydia Wanyoto Mutende, former National Chairperson of the National Resistance Movement (NRM) Women’s League, has petitioned the High Court in Mbale demanding for the nullification of the victory of Connie Nakayenze Galiwango who won the Mbale City Woman MP race in the January 14 polls.

Wanyoto, who held the NRM ticket, was floored by her hereditary competitor and incumbent Woman MP of Mbale District, Galiwango, who defeated her with a range of over 20,000 votes.

Galiwango was declared the winner, after scoring 40,702 votes (53.2%) followed by Wanyoto who got 25,276 votes (33%).

Other candidates in the race were; Robinah Masibo from the National Unity Platform party (NUP) who got 6565 votes, Maimuna Nambuya with 1852 votes, Shadia Luwungule, who had lost in the NRM primaries got 1382 votes while Racheal K Nansubuga trailed with 643 votes.

Galiwango, who had lost the NRM ticket to Wanyoto, decided to come back as an Independent candidate in the final race, citing discrepancies in the primaries.

Days after declaration of the winner, Wanyoto told reporters in a press conference at her home that her victory had been robbed by Galiwango whom she accused of ordering the brutalization of her (Wanyoto’s) polling agents.

“My polling agents from Bugema, Nakaloke, Bukasakya and Bungokho-Mutoto sub counties were beaten by the supporters of Nakayenze and destroyed my DR forms. I can’t accept the results and we are going to Courts of Law to challenge this because I believe that I won the race but the Electoral Commission declared a wrong person,” she said.

Wanyoto interacting with the electorate during the campaigns in January 2021.

In her election petition filed to Mbale High Court yesterday March 2, Wanyoto filed 123 affidavits, which she said contained all the evidence that is enough to nullify the victory and order for vote recount.

Her lawyers lead by Eddy Mauso Ngule of N Mugoda Advocates told reporters shortly after filing the petition that they are sure of winning the case basing on the evidence they have presented.

“The entire voting process was hijacked by the second respondent, beating, intimidating, ferrying materials, tampering with materials, our evidence (videos and photographs) shows how boxes were opened,” Ngule said.

He added that within ten days, the Court is likely to set the first hearing date of the Case if Galiwango’s side responds to their affidavits.

“Within ten days, they will have filed their replies and if they don’t, the Court will determine the matter but if they have their replies, then the Court shall set the date for first hearing,” he noted.

Wanyoto has paraded three law firms; N Mugoda Advocates, Springs Advocates and Mugabi Shaka Advocates, in this particular case.

“As NRM party, we are going to use all means of regaining our victory,” she said.

 



Source – chimpreports.com

Continue Reading

Politics

Bobi Wine Petition Takeover: Court Advises Mayambala to Hire Lawyers, File Formal Application

Published

on

By


Former presidential candidate Willy Mayambala has been advised to seek the services of a lawyer to enable him file a formal application to take over a presidential election petition that has been abandoned by Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu.

The advice from the Supreme Court follows a letter written by Mayambala on Thursday seeking to be guided on how he can take over the petition which Kyagulanyi was withdrawing from the court.

The National Unity Platform (NUP) lost interest in the petition after failing to submit several affidavits which they had collected from various parts of the country as proof that the election cycle was characterized by violence, bribery, alteration of results, and intimidation among others.

Kyagulanyi also cited the abduction and torture of witnesses, interference with his privacy by security operatives whom he said were working on the command of President Yoweri Museveni and the Attorney General who are the first and third respondents to the petition.

However, the registrar of the Supreme Court Harriet Nalukwago Ssali said that Mayambala needs to follow procedures laid out in the Presidential Elections Act to inherit the petition.

Section 61(2) of the Presidential Election Act provides that on hearing of the application for withdrawing, any candidate who might have been a petitioner in respect of the election to which the petitioner refers may apply to the court to be substituted as a petitioner for the petitioner who desires to withdraw.”

The registrar advised Mayambala to seek the services of a lawyer with a view of filing a formal application. But Mayambala told URN that he had not yet seen the letter, and could not comment further on the matter or even engage any legal teams beforehand.

Mayambala who polled the least votes in a race that attracted 11 candidates had previously said that he was happy with the outcome of the January 14, 2021, general elections that saw the incumbent President Yoweri Museveni announced the winner with 68 percent. He said that he had no intentions of challenging the Electoral Commission results issued by Justice Simon Byabakama.

When Kyagulanyi filed his application for withdrawing on Wednesday, a panel of nine Supreme Court Justices led by Chief Justice Alfonse Owiny-Dollo advised him to submit an affidavit from one of his lawyers supporting the withdrawal. The Registrar of the Supreme Court will now publish a copy of the application in the Uganda Gazette, in line with the laws governing the withdrawal of presidential election petitions.

——————-

By: URN

Comments

comments





Source – thetowerpost.com

Continue Reading

Politics

21 Newly Elected MPs Under Police Investigation Over Altered DR Forms

Published

on

By


The Criminal Investigations Department is investigating 21 newly elected Members of Parliament for allegedly altering declaration forms and forging academic papers.

A senior detective at CID headquarters Kibuli says that the electoral and political offences department headed by Henry Mugumya is investigating MPs from 11 districts.

The source has named some of the districts whose elected MPs risk being arraigned before courts of law. Some of these districts include, Kween, Wakiso, Namayingo, Namisindwa, Kikuube and four others from the West Nile sub-region.

“Investigations have started with 21 MPs while six others are pending. The MPs are major members of the National Resistance Movement-NRM which is being accused by the electorate and rivals of forging academic papers and bribing presiding officers who altered results on DR forms. There is already evidence to support these allegations,” CID source said.

When contacted, Mugumya declined to give details saying information regarding all the electoral and political offences of the recently concluded general elections will at an appropriate time be shared through the police spokespersons.

A CID source further revealed that all investigations commanders in districts where elected MPs are being probed have been warned to dare not succumb to bribes. It is alleged that some of the MPs have learnt about the on-going investigations and are attempting to frustrate the process.

“Our team has submitted some DR forms to our Directorate of Forensic Science and some politicians were declared winners with altered results. Our team will get reports from document analysts and prosecutors will use them as evidence,” the source said.

The Electoral Commission spokesperson Paul Bukenya said they have no business with investigations being done by a recognized agency like CID. Bukenya adds that DR forms are public documents that can be used by any person at any time.

Sources said at least 200 DR forms for the various electoral process are being examined by Directorate of Forensic Science-DFS based at Naguru police headquarters. DFS is headed by Superintendent of Police –SP Andrew Mubiru.

————————

By: URN

Comments

comments





Source – thetowerpost.com

Continue Reading

Trending